Vienna lager color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewddah

Reaction score
I know the traditional recipe for a vienna lager is 100% Vienna malt, but this supposedly won't get the color to the required SRM (only 5.5 when the minimum is 10). Would running a decoction mash increase the SRM significantly?

Yes it would i did a marzen with anout 30% munich pre decoction the smr would have been 7 or 8 it came out to 13 or so if u want more color add the grain back and do anothe decoction.

By one or two SRM, tops. Add a 0.5%-1% carafa special 3 (at the end of mash preferably) or be happy with the gold color.

Could I steep the carafa in the wort that I drain out as I'm sparging? That way maybe I can pull it out of the pot before it gets overdone. I've heard that even small amounts can impart a roasty flavor.

Yep, I grind it fine, and usually add at the end of the mash, as im starting to vorlauf, which works fine. You can try steeping it in the wort, just make sure you dont get grain dust/bits in the wort.

FWIW here is my Vienna smash. I cold crashed it for 10 days while I was away so its lager like.

20170113_163130_resized.jpg

Back