Video of my racking day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskie26

Reaction score
I think using the funnel was a big no-no as it will allow oxygen to the beer. How much did I damage the beer by sending it through the funnel?

Otherwise I think it was a successful transfer. The beer is a kolsch from Northern Brewer.

[ame]http://youtu.be/WaWOYsPCwbw[/ame]

Eric

Only time will tell, but all of that foam has o2 in it. Typically, it's a good practice to rack from the bottom-up. In other words, sanitize your entire racking cane, tube and all, and lay the tube or coil it in the bottom of the receiving vessel. Then gently start a siphon. When the vessel is full, pinch the hose off to stop the flow and remove from the vessel. Another great way to avoid oxidation is to completely forgo the secondary. Just let it stay in the primary the entire time....you'll be happy with the results. But, you have made beer, that's the main thing. Good luck.

I tried to catch what you did there in the video, but it kinda goes by fast. Did siphon it into the funnel, and let it splash out of the funnel, so the beer was basically poured from the top of he carboy to the bottom? or was the hose, that went to the funnel, pushed all they way to the bottom of the carboy?

If it was the first scenario, ehhh.... you will probably have some oxidation issues... It's not good to splash it AT ALL when there is already alcohol established into it. If this is the case, there's nothing you can do about it now, except wait and see. Maybe it will end up oxidized, but maybe you got lucky and maybe it will be fine. Good luck with it.

Damn, that video makes it seem like racking day is really hard. I probably do almost all of the steps you depict in the video but I feel much more relaxed about it.:fro:

I even get to taste the beer. I love that part.

How much did I damage the beer by sending it through the funnel?

Beer Damage: 12% (using a formula I just made up right now)

Okay, in all honesty you've made beer and it'll probably taste excellent. See if you taste a wet cardboard flavor once you bottle it to know if it's oxidized.

Skip the funnel next time and try to get the hose to touch the side of the fermenter neck. Liquid will travel gently down the side of the fermenter and all will be well. Or, even easier, buy a second racking cane for $1.19 or whatever and stick that in the fermenter. It'll fill from bottom up and all will be well.

Disclaimer: If this post doesn't make sense it's because I've been drinking a lot this evening.

Mmm love me a nice Kolsch. Oxidation can impart a wet cardboard flavor, but it's supposed to show up over time. So if you get crackin' and drink that Kolsch it may not be an issue.

As was said, you want to fill from the bottom up to avoid introducing too much air to the beer. You can use a second racking cane, or do what I do: get a longer hose that goes to the bottom of your secondary. Here's a video of my process, not quite as speedy as yours :)

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
As was said, you want to fill from the bottom up to avoid introducing too much air to the beer. You can use a second racking cane, or do what I do: get a longer hose that goes to the bottom of your secondary.

A possible issue I see is you grabbed the end of the hose that goes into the corny keg and will eventually be sitting in your finished beer in your second keg. If you get an extra quick disconnect for the "Beer Out" side of your kegs, you can just connect that to the sanitized post and your autosiphon. Beer will flow down into the keg through the dip tube filling it from the bottom up.

I always figure one should sanitize everything and anything that comes in contact with the beer -- and never touch anything that comes in contact with the beer. All for good measure.

If you get an extra quick disconnect for the "Beer Out" side of your kegs, you can just connect that to the sanitized post and your autosiphon. Beer will flow down into the keg through the dip tube filling it from the bottom up.

How simple and logical. I will be doing this from now on.
I used to use a piece of racking cane to reach the bottom of the keg, but this is so simple and easy and I don't need to have the keg open when doing it ... never mind less sanitizing of equipment.
Thanks. :mug:

A possible issue I see is you grabbed the end of the hose that goes into the corny keg and will eventually be sitting in your finished beer in your second keg. If you get an extra quick disconnect for the "Beer Out" side of your kegs, you can just connect that to the sanitized post and your autosiphon. Beer will flow down into the keg through the dip tube filling it from the bottom up.
I tried that method a few times. The problem I had was keeping the siphon through the quick connect. The opening at the poppet is small enough that sucking up a bit of trub or a bit of hop will clog it, requiring you to take it apart and clean it, negating any sanitation bonus. The flow is also a lot slower through the poppet. It just ended up being more of a pain than it was worth for me. YMMV, of course.

The hose is clean and thoroughly sanitized before going in the keg, as are my hands, so I'm comfortable using this method. I just checked my notes, and have put beer in 53 kegs over 2 years this way.

Now if I were transferring under pressure, that'd be a different story. Once I move to conicals I will definitely be transferring using the diptube, but mostly for the convenience and not the extra sanitation.

-Joe

I tried that method a few times. The problem I had was keeping the siphon through the quick connect. The opening at the poppet is small enough that sucking up a bit of trub or a bit of hop will clog it, requiring you to take it apart and clean it, negating any sanitation bonus. The flow is also a lot slower through the poppet. It just ended up being more of a pain than it was worth for me. YMMV, of course.

The hose is clean and thoroughly sanitized before going in the keg, as are my hands, so I'm comfortable using this method. I just checked my notes, and have put beer in 53 kegs over 2 years this way.

Now if I were transferring under pressure, that'd be a different story. Once I move to conicals I will definitely be transferring using the diptube, but mostly for the convenience and not the extra sanitation.

-Joe

What about removing the poppet from the "out" post and the poppet from the quick-disconnect fitting, and reinstalling them after the racking is done? It may still be a bit slower, but maybe would not clog.

It's odd but I've never had a clog. I can see why it would happen though, so if I ever do encounter that issue then I'll know why! Thanks!

beninan said:
I tried to catch what you did there in the video, but it kinda goes by fast. Did siphon it into the funnel, and let it splash out of the funnel, so the beer was basically poured from the top of he carboy to the bottom? or was the hose, that went to the funnel, pushed all they way to the bottom of the carboy?

If it was the first scenario, ehhh.... you will probably have some oxidation issues... It's not good to splash it AT ALL when there is already alcohol established into it. If this is the case, there's nothing you can do about it now, except wait and see. Maybe it will end up oxidized, but maybe you got lucky and maybe it will be fine. Good luck with it.

Yes I did transfer into the funnel right from the primary. I wanted to to strain out anything floating. The samples that I took while it was in the primary tasted fine but had extra things in the beer.

Awesome feedback here!! This board is really great for learning. A note on sanitation - i did have a tub of starsan that everything soaked in that i used, i think i am okay there. I will post again once i bottle the beer. With the heat this week my basement has been in the mid to high 60s. The samples I have had tasted good though.

Back