VIDEO: Getting the most out of your Blichmann Breweasy (water chemistry, etc)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danam404

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I made this video at the request of Great Fermentations last week, and it's mainly directed at owners of the BrewEasy... But I go over some water chemistry and other general tips so I figured it may be useful to others here in this forum. Enjoy!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJLzAXZbFw[/ame]

Overshooting The Temperature
- This makes things quicker but you'll be destroying a portion of the enzymes in the grain sitting at the top of the bed by dousing them with water that hot, which would reduce your efficiency. Also, depending on the grain bill, 192F water during your mash out could result in extraction of undesired flavors from the grain.

Taking Your Mash PH
- It's important to note that ph meters have a operating temperature range, not all ph meters operate accurately at mash temperatures, and not all do automatic temperature correction, which can result in inaccurate readings, which can result in over or under correction of your mash ph.

Good run through of basic chemistry stuff and an overview of the system. I've never used phosphoric before, normally I just use calcium chloride to adjust my ph down, I'll probably give phosphoric a shot in the future.

I was looking at the ph meter as a possibility, will the unit in the video work at mash temps?
thank you

Yes, it has auto temp correction for temperatures exceeding what you would mash at... Cannot remember the number right now though

Hey,

Love the video, was considering getting the brew easy setup.. right now I do brew in a bag with the Blichmann TOP so I have a few parts..

In the bucket you have the immersion chiller in with the ICE, is it full of water also with the Ice? From the video I couldn't see any water just ice.

If you didn't have liquid in it, having water in it would cool the water flowing through the immersion chiller much quicker.. heat transfer through air is to slow!

Thanks again for the great vid.

Hey glad you enjoyed! Yes in that video there is water in the prechill bucket, but I've since found its easier to recirculate thru the chiller and back into the kettle for several minutes using my normal tap water, and then letting my fridge do the rest before I pitch

Hey,

Love the video, was considering getting the brew easy setup.. right now I do brew in a bag with the Blichmann TOP so I have a few parts..

In the bucket you have the immersion chiller in with the ICE, is it full of water also with the Ice? From the video I couldn't see any water just ice.

If you didn't have liquid in it, having water in it would cool the water flowing through the immersion chiller much quicker.. heat transfer through air is to slow!

Thanks again for the great vid.

Back