Force-carbonated mead bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolepa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is first time I am going to open my first thread on this forum so I will appreciate any help from you... I am just finishing my first 6 gallons (in fact about 5 gallons after a couple of rackings)batch of traditional mead and it is ready to be buttled for aging. But... here is a catch: I want to force carbonate my mead first using 2.5 gallon corny keg, 5 gallons CO2 tank and CO2 regulator. Saying that I have two mail questions for you:
1. In spite I went through many youtube videos, google articles and reading on this and other forums I am still unclear on "force carbonation process". To be more clear: I got it in general but I am sure that I am missing a lot of details. Could you please walk me though the whole process with details (cleaning of new equipment, extra equipment parts I may need, etc.)- and I will be greatfull for that to you.
2. What is your take on the buttling process? I mean what process is better, more convenient/efficient?
From what I know (and I don't know too much) there are three main processes to buttle force-carbonated mead but I'll mention three of those:
1. Counter Pressure Buttle Filler, 2. Blichmann BeerGun, 3. The Last Straw. Every of those three methods have it's own pross and cons. I would really like to hear your personal opinion on that from you.
I would be happy to hear any recommendation/suggestion from you. Please let me know if you need more detailed information from me.
Thank you all!

Last edited:
Force carbing gives you a huge advantage, you can stabilize and backsweeten your mead and still get carbonation. The process is the same as for beer, so ask those questions in the beer forums. As for bottling, mead and cider make very little foam so those fancy pressure fillers aren't needed. I bottle my cider by just reducing keg pressure to 2-3 psi and use a bottling wand stuck in a picnic tap.

I bottle my cider by just reducing keg pressure to 2-3 psi and use a bottling wand stuck in a picnic tap
Really?! Wow!!! Thank you, Maylar! All articles, posts, etc. regarding to force carbonation which I found on Google and forums - all were beer related. Yes, main problem with buttling of force carbonated beverages was foaming.... If - like you recommended - I can do this with use of a bottling wand stuck in a picnic tap I can avoid spending extra $110 - 120 and simplify the process.... Thank you very much!

Really?! Wow!!! Thank you, Maylar! All articles, posts, etc. regarding to force carbonation which I found on Google and forums - all were beer related. Yes, main problem with buttling of force carbonated beverages was foaming.... If - like you recommended - I can do this with use of a bottling wand stuck in a picnic tap I can avoid spending extra $110 - 120 and simplify the process.... Thank you very much!
Not coincidentally, when I first started kegging I too saw the recommendations for pressure fillers from the beer guys and bought the Last Straw thingie. Used it once :inbottle:

I saw many happy users on Youtube who were using either one of those three devices but.... a huge BUT: this all was related to bottling BEER! Not MEAD.
Like you said in your previous post - "mead makes very little foam"...
Also, about preparation of new kegging equipment: do I have to take my new keg apart in order to clean an sanitize it? I already cleaned it with PBW while disconnecting posts form the keg but not sure if I have to disassemble post themselves completely... Thank you again!

Sanitizing and cleaning are separate steps. The sanitizer of choice is Star San. I would disassemble the posts and clean them on a new keg. I do the same if the keg has been empty for a while too. Pay attention to the assembly and don't lose the springs ;)

Thanks, Maylar! I got it. Yes, I am aware that sanitizing and cleaning are separate steps and yes, I use Star San.. Even though I guessed that I have to clean first and then sanitize everything right before using them I just wanted to make sure I am on the right path... :) What I wasn't sure of is that if I have to disassemble posts for cleanings and sanitizing.... Now I do! I appreciate your help!

I take different approach with my cider and mead.

I always bottle still in wine bottles. It’s safer and makes for a cleaner aging process (I don’t like bottle conditioning and disgorgement freaks me out!) I also have a 1 gallon keg and when it comes time to carbonate something it gets put to use.

Pop open a few bottles, dump em in, crank the pressure to 10-15psi and put the keg in the fridge. After about 1-2 weeks you can have perfectly clear carbonated mead/cider which has been aged for a year or more. I like have a 1 gallon keg because I only commit 5 bottles (usually get 24 750ml bottles out of a 5 gallon batch).

This works great for parties and stuff too because 1 gallon is juuust the right amount to bring over. Planning a week or 2 ahead is just part of the game. Different batches flow through the keg at a fair pace too so I don’t feel a whole lot of need to have multiple kegs. It’s never tied up for more than 2 weeks.

I take different approach with my cider and mead.

I always bottle still in wine bottles. It’s safer and makes for a cleaner aging process (I don’t like bottle conditioning and disgorgement freaks me out!) I also have a 1 gallon keg and when it comes time to carbonate something it gets put to use.

Pop open a few bottles, dump em in, crank the pressure to 10-15psi and put the keg in the fridge. After about 1-2 weeks you can have perfectly clear carbonated mead/cider which has been aged for a year or more. I like have a 1 gallon keg because I only commit 5 bottles (usually get 24 750ml bottles out of a 5 gallon batch).

This works great for parties and stuff too because 1 gallon is juuust the right amount to bring over. Planning a week or 2 ahead is just part of the game. Different batches flow through the keg at a fair pace too so I don’t feel a whole lot of need to have multiple kegs. It’s never tied up for more than 2 weeks.
Thank you, Srimmey! Yes, I know that it's common method to buttle the mead in wine bottles and maybe I'll start doing the same in nearest future. Some people like carbonated mead and I am among those... Just like bubbles in my glass!! :)
You can add a stopper with a hole in it to the wand, and do counter pressure filling very cheapbut
Wow! This sounds very nice... I followde the link you have provided and I just like it! I am not sure how will this work for me but I definitely try this method!

Back