Video Game Nerds, need your recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Borderlands, Fallout 3/new vegas, and mass effect 1 & 2 are all great games, but you're looking at 20+ hours each, closer to 30-40 if you want to screw around a bit off the main story line.

Portal + portal 2 would probably fit your timetable. Portal was a 4-6 hour game and portal 2 is a 6-12 hour game (not including the co-op levels). My vote goes for portal.

HexKrak said:
Borderlands, Fallout 3/new vegas, and mass effect 1 & 2 are all great games, but you're looking at 20+ hours each, closer to 30-40 if you want to screw around a bit off the main story line.

Portal + portal 2 would probably fit your timetable. Portal was a 4-6 hour game and portal 2 is a 6-12 hour game (not including the co-op levels). My vote goes for portal.

Portal or portal 2 are probably your best bets, they're amazingly fun, yet short.

I looked into Portal 2, it's $29.99...too rich for my blood lol. $20 is my limit, unless it's a mario game or Skyrim, which I won't get yet.

I have most of those games you mentioned Hex (except the sequels), I'll surely get most of them eventually. When portal 2 drops in price I'll surely try it out since you guys are raving about it so much.

If you haven't played Katamari Damacy before, you might try Beautiful Katamari. It's relatively short, so it should fit into the time frame you've got, and really fun. Most of the reviews are rather low, like B-range, because it's essentially the same game as the original version that was on PS2. But, the original got nothing but excellent reviews so it's more of a "didn't add/improve as much as expected" kind of thing.

If you haven't played Katamari Damacy before, you might try Beautiful Katamari. It's relatively short, so it should fit into the time frame you've got, and really fun. Most of the reviews are rather low, like B-range, because it's essentially the same game as the original version that was on PS2. But, the original got nothing but excellent reviews so it's more of a "didn't add/improve as much as expected" kind of thing.

One of my favorite games, I forgot to mention it, kinda hard to get your hands on as it's reached cult status based on the previous releases. A great game, but then I just love those quirky Japanese games, probably why I'm such a Nintendo fan.

The sound track is hilarious alone.

Lots of love for Fallout 3 here, but go with Fallout 2 if you haven't played it. One of the all time best games ever made, and it's on amazon for $5.

I've really been enjoying rocksmith.

Damn, I so want this game to come over here, I want to hook up my 52 AVRI Telecaster to it.

There is a fight with a European band called Rocksmith, so hopefully they pay them off and get the game released here ASAP.

175478_10150140120685746_578075745_7930550_6897732_o.jpg

Half-life orange box can be had for 10 bucks and one of the best series of games ever made. Not the latest and greatest graphics but excellent story and fun nothing like the gravity gun. Surround sound is a must !

Lots of love for Fallout 3 here, but go with Fallout 2 if you haven't played it. One of the all time best games ever made, and it's on amazon for $5.

I agree, Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing. Played the hell out of them years ago lol. Fallout tactics was even pretty good if you like the tactical strategy games.

Portal 1 and 2 are great, but too high dollar? A kinda creepy game for $10 is Limbo, I liked it almost as much as Portal. More brain teasers than action, but the b&w graphics are really interesting.

Small gaming hijack, has anyone been able to play with the Razer Hydra controllers for the PC? Seems like it would give Wii like control and capabilities to PC graphic games. I really enjoyed RE4 on the Wii and it's control schema, but the graphics were terrWiible.

ya know . . . it's not something you are going to beat in a week but will keep ya busy and you cant beat the price . . . look into World of Tanks

Mass Effect was a blast...I don't know that I care to get into a game that long right now though. ME 2 will be in the future for sure though.

Mass Effect 1 was one of the best games I've ever played....and Mass Effect two is even better. If you haven't played the series, do it. Do it now.

Look at done of the arcade games as well. Defense grid is a decent tower defense game. Torchlight is a good diablo-like dungeon crawler.

Mass Effect 2 was even better than the first??? Damn...guess I gotta bump that up the list for when I want a longer game.

Viking73, I'm dungeon crawled out after Titans Quest a couple months ago. If you or anyone else hasn't played it, it was pretty awesome and cheap. I'm waiting for Diablo 3 till I do another dungeon crawler....

As for the xbox arcade games, I have no internet at home so I'm out of luck there.

Also, lots of good suggestions here. Hopefully others took recommendations from this thread as well. Our forum is much more friendly than most of the gamer forums where you get a@@hole responses from 15 yr. old kids. I popped on one to ask the same question and was greeted with, "How about you dowload demo's and stop bothering us." I laughed and could not comprehend how I was "bothering" this kid by posting on a game forum about games lol.

Hopefully we can keep this thread somewhat current and all us nerds can gather info from it as time goes by.

I'll have to check that out.

That'd be good, I too get annoyed at the kidlets. This is much friendlier, must be because we can drink...

Mass Effect 2 was even better than the first???

And I can't wait for the third:D

Another game I've heard interesting things about is Rage. Anyone played? Sort of a cross blend between borderlands and fallout. It's sort of a traditional fps in how it plays, but it's a really rich environment. Tons of detail.

I'll have to check that out.

That'd be good, I too get annoyed at the kidlets. This is much friendlier, must be because we can drink...

Yeah, the booze calms our nerves lol...we also have just come to realize that snarky comments to others via a forum are pointless.

I heartily recommend Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

Even if you're not into the whole WH40K mythos, it's still a great game. And you'll soon find yourself giggling like a schoolgirl as you send your power-armored super-strong Space Marine into a horde or orkz with a chainsaw broadsword hacking away, then spinning around to eviscerate someone, throw them over your shoulder, smash their head into a blood oblivion, and get your health restored for doing it.

Hours of fun!

KFH said:
I heartily recommend Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

Even if you're not into the whole WH40K mythos, it's still a great game. And you'll soon find yourself giggling like a schoolgirl as you send your power-armored super-strong Space Marine into a horde or orkz with a chainsaw broadsword hacking away, then spinning around to eviscerate someone, throw them over your shoulder, smash their head into a blood oblivion, and get your health restored for doing it.

Hours of fun!

As a fan of 40k I bought this right away. The game is fun. The end however sucked.

As a fan of 40k I bought this right away. The game is fun. The end however sucked.

The ending was perfectly grimdark, IMO. I would've liked a longer boss fight at the end, but I thought the story ending fit perfectly.

KFH said:
The ending was perfectly grimdark, IMO. I would've liked a longer boss fight at the end, but I thought the story ending fit perfectly.

Spoiler alert!!!

No space marine chapter would let the inquisition cart off a captain, or any other brother. They'd either kill him outright or send him to the librarium to be examined for taint.

That would make a good dlc though. Librarian sent to retrieve the captain from a rouge inquisitor.

Spoiler alert!!!

No space marine chapter would let the inquisition cart off a captain, or any other brother. They'd either kill him outright or send him to the librarium to be examined for taint.

That would make a good dlc though. Librarian sent to retrieve the captain from a rouge inquisitor.

MOAR SPOILERS!!!!

Remember, there was only Titus and Leandros left at the end, not any of the other Ultrasmurfs. And Leandros was convinced Titus was tainted by Chaos. Add in the Inquisitor's threat to haul off the Guardsmen as well and Titus didn't have much choice but to go.

Either way, we're missing the point: THIS GAME IS HOLY **** AWESOME GO BUY IT NOW FOR THE EMPRAH

Anytime someone is asking for game suggestions, the first that comes to mind is Super Meat Boy. I bought on XBLA last year on a whim, and it is loads of fun... Old school platforming and a retro vibe, with very nuanced player control and an increasingly maddening level of difficulty. It's also pretty funny. ~$14 on Steam or XBLA

KFH said:
MOAR SPOILERS!!!!

Remember, there was only Titus and Leandros left at the end, not any of the other Ultrasmurfs. And Leandros was convinced Titus was tainted by Chaos. Add in the Inquisitor's threat to haul off the Guardsmen as well and Titus didn't have much choice but to go.

Either way, we're missing the point: THIS GAME IS HOLY **** AWESOME GO BUY IT NOW FOR THE EMPRAH

True enough. And yes, awesome game. Done the multiplayer yet?

Damn, I so want this game to come over here, I want to hook up my 52 AVRI Telecaster to it.

There is a fight with a European band called Rocksmith, so hopefully they pay them off and get the game released here ASAP.

175478_10150140120685746_578075745_7930550_6897732_o.jpg

Nice guitar :)

Maybe you can use one of those services that delivers to a US address then ships overseas?

CoD MW3 .. probably the coolest game I've ever played. Just when it starts to get boring, it's time to man a mortar, race a boat or fly a drone !

Nice guitar :)

Maybe you can use one of those services that delivers to a US address then ships overseas?

Are PS3 games still region coded? Or NTSC?

<EDIT> I googled, it'll play on HDMI as there is no region coding on the games and NTSC is only an issue using the RGB cables and not using HDMI.

So I didn't even end up buying a game for the week lol...I did however take advantage of some black friday deals and nabbed 2 for 1 at gamestop. 2 games thanks to your recommendations, Fable 2 and Bioshock. Then for more fun got Viking.

Played Fable 2 all weekend and it's a blast.

Possible Spoilers...

Made myself the most evil, fattest, least considerate man on the planet. Married the most hideous woman I could find. Knocked her up, ignored my child then found a local hottie and set up our love shack in the house next door. Then I decided that my reputation shouldn't suffer from that troll of a wife I had, so I ended her life...Then child protective services took my baby, didn't see that one coming. Then I kicked some chickens.

The game is a riot. lol

Are PS3 games still region coded? Or NTSC?

<EDIT> I googled, it'll play on HDMI as there is no region coding on the games and NTSC is only an issue using the RGB cables and not using HDMI.

I'm not sure :( I only have an xbox and haven't had to deal with any of the region coding stuff.

I'm not sure :( I only have an xbox and haven't had to deal with any of the region coding stuff.

I got Rocksmith from the USA, it works fine on my EU PS3, the only thing is that nothing loads in the shop as it is not coming from a US IP address.
The game is very good, I only played it for a few hours yesterday as I was waiting to collect it from my brother who got it for me for Xmas Kristkindl.

So far it's very good.

It's funny, I purchased the Wii back when they were impossible to get and everyone was snatching them up. The novelty wore off REALLY quickly!
same here. i stood outside all night to get one, sold it within a week for a 360. now you can get a wii for like less than $99

frunkasduck said:
same here. i stood outside all night to get one, sold it within a week for a 360. now you can get a wii for like less than $99

Wii has become my netflix console.

Latest posts

Back