Vicadin and beer MMMMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WormBoy said:
OK, the 3rd beer is topping off the vicadin and muscle relaxants. THe back is now feeling better. Woo hooo.
Horay for beer :ban:

Man, I wouldn't take too much vicodin with beer. Obviously alcohol greatly intensifies the narcotic effects, but the high acetaminophen content doesn't mix with booze either. Acetaminophen can be VERY hard on the liver, particularly when combined with alcohol.

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but do be careful, eh?

I had to make the choice between beer and vics this evening and I went with the vics; tomorrow may be a different story since it is a football Sunday. Personally, I would never mix the two; just my 2 cents.

actually I only took one vicodin. And I am a large man (236) so it really doesn't effect me much. But thanks for looking out for me fellow HBT'rs.
I have been experiencing some back spasms over the past few days. I guess extra weight and manual labor don't mix well.
Anyway, thanks for the cautionary notes.
I suppose it's about time to retire.

No probs. I know my body. Actually SWMBO keeps me sober as a judge most times, so rarely do I stray from the path. Thanks for lookin out. Anywho, see you all later.
I love HBT!

WormBoy said:
And I am a large man (236) so it really doesn't effect me much. .

Not for nuttin' but your liver is probably about the same size as everyone elses. Three tylenols isn't going to put you into any sort of toxic nonograom but there is a reason that pills come with instructions. The prescribed dosages aren't suggestions.

Your statement that you know your body so you know what is an appropriate dosage of medication is a bit absurd. If you know your body well enough to know the metabolic pathways of acetomenophen than you would know not to take more than the recomended dose.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissy here, but I'm getting tired of hearing that particular line from people who've overdosed on OTC meds and end up buying a week long stay in the ICU.

Here's my $.02.

Sure, it's a bad idea to mix alcohol with vicodin or any drugs the doc says not to.

However, docs are just people and have to tell you the 'right' thing to do. Most people can and do get away with cheating on this rule all the time. I've had multiple sports injuries and a couple beers made it easier to go to sleep at night.

There is still a genuine risk. I don't doubt what the docs say is true, SWMBO is a doctor and is pretty realistic. She would never suggest a patient do this but she also realizes they do and get away with it. She's not happy if I do it but I'm still alive and my other intrests are a greater risk than that.

It's your body and your call. That's my$.02

paulthenurse said:
Not for nuttin' but your liver is probably about the same size as everyone elses. Three tylenols isn't going to put you into any sort of toxic nonograom but there is a reason that pills come with instructions. The prescribed dosages aren't suggestions.

Your statement that you know your body so you know what is an appropriate dosage of medication is a bit absurd. If you know your body well enough to know the metabolic pathways of acetomenophen than you would know not to take more than the recomended dose.

Sorry if I sound a bit pissy here, but I'm getting tired of hearing that particular line from people who've overdosed on OTC meds and end up buying a week long stay in the ICU.

I'll pick up where you left off Paul :) I'm an ICU nurse and I probably see a few tylenol overdoses a month. Someone somewhere decided to spread the rumor that you could "off" yourself by taking a bottle of tylenol....but what they failed to mention is that it's a slow and painful death, causing serious liver damage. By the time these people change their mind and decide they want to give living a second chance, they've already dug themselves a grave. We have to ship a lot of these folks out of our ICU because their livers are shutting down and need an expert in the field to save them. Bottom line....you may have been joking, but a lot of seemingly harmless (and overprescribed) drugs can be REALLY dangerous if used the wrong way.

Drugs are baaaad...mkay? ;)

Everything ScubaSteve said is true. ODing on Tylenol WILL work. You CAN check out that way. But it's not like you drift off to happy valley and wake up in heaven. It is a very long slow check out process. You end up in the hospital yakking your guts up. And mine will be the first smiling face you see when you come to the ED. That, in and of itself should scare you. If you aren't heaving when you get here you will be after I make you drink a few cups of ground up charcoal. Picture a pint of black, liquid chalk. Yummy. And if you WON"T drink it we'll hold you down, shove a hose up your nose and into your stomach and pump it in that way. Now THAT'S pleasant! Then, just for the icing on the cake, we make you drink some stuff that taste like ass. Actually, ass probably tastes better. And we'll make you drink a lot of it! Every four hours! For 14 doses! Sure, there is a newer way to give you the medicine, but I'm a strong believer in aversion therapy.

Anyways, if you take enough of it at once, or a little extra of it for a long time, you can say bye-bye to your liver. It's an ugly, painful way to check out. Not as bad as some but worse than a lot. Of course, you can do what you like. I'll be glad to meet you when you come to the ED on a stretcher. Our numbers are down and we need the admissions.

You might 'know your own body', but we know toxicology. Stick to the prescribed dosages. Or stick to beer. Not both.

[/soapbox]

Another guy with a bad back here. Herniated at L5-S1. I'm reading this with interest, because I still like to stay active. At the end of an extremely hard day I’ve been known to chase a Vicodin with a beer or two or . . . . I've never had a problem, but you make me think about long term problems. We have some experts here, so how much is too much? My prescription is HYDROCO/APAP 7.5-750. I never have done more then one with beer and only may be once a month if that. Are there possible irreversible effects with this?

Well, I'm not going to give you a number and say, "Yes it's okay to take X number of pills if you keep the alcohol under Y, or if your perscription says take 2 it's really ok to take 4. I'll gaurontee you that if I did some dumb ass would read that and say "If he say's it's ok to take 4 than I'll take 8, cause I know my body, and I really hurt, and I know what works for me. Oh ya, and I need brand name stuff, cause the generic stuff don't work."

Here is the way it is, people. If I go to your place of business and ask you for your professional opinion, in a matter in which I have absolutely no education, and then walk away and do whatever the F I feel like doing, then I'm a jack ass for wasting my money by asking for your professional opinion.

I LOVE it when someone comes to my ED and tells me what their diagnosis is. If I had a nickle for every time I asked some drunk in a diaper what medical school he graduated from I could stop working 7pm to 7 am 5 nights a week and spend my spare time diving and brewing.

(PTN looks around and see's he's somehow managed to get back up on that freakin' soapbox. WTF, just cause I'm blunt, obnoxious and to the point don't make me wrong. And I'm JUST a little bit in the wrapper. Had to work last night and missed out on the Red Sox festivities. Kind of. We got them second hand. Not for nuttin' but how come every ******* in the city feels like winning a championship gives them liscence to act like a freaking fool? See my comment above about drunks in diapers. For goodness sakes, fools, go home, drink yourself silly and GO TO BED. Climbing a f***ing street lamp with 50 pissed off cops underneath it is NEVER a good idea. (OK, so climbing the Gilby's Gin signon top of the parking garage across Ladsdown Street in 1978 was probably not a stroke of genius, but we were there to watch the game. And the fat assed cop hollering at us to come down was just pissed cause we could see in and he coulndn't. Unfortunatley we got to see Bucky F***ing Dent go sorta long. But that's a story for another day from a time long ago. And I'm mostly thru a bottle of Taylor 1977 Vintage Port that we picked up in Portugal in April. SWMBO willprobably be po that I drank it wiothout er , but then agian she's from NJ, she slept last ngith and I worked yet again when the Sox won it all. So I'm gonna finish it off. In fact I just poured the last glass. Now I'm goin to watch the replay and go to bed. I'm NOT going to go and set my neigbors car on fire. A bit of age is a wonderful thing.

PTN

I KNEW Boston would be a madhouse! That city loves their baseball. I'm from Denver and expected them to riot as well. Remember when the Broncos first won the Superbowl? That was mayhem!

ScubaSteve said:
I KNEW Boston would be a madhouse! That city loves their baseball. I'm from Denver and expected them to riot as well. Remember when the Broncos first won the Superbowl? That was mayhem!

Wait till the Cubs win the WS.

08 World Champs!!!

Cheesefood said:
Wait till the Cubs win the WS.

08 World Champs!!!

:off: What? I read the Farmer's Almanac and I saw nothing about hell freezing over in 2008?!

What did Jesus say to the Cubs last time he was on Earth? "Don't do anything 'til I get back."

After a botched surgery I went over a year without drinking because of the levels of pain killers I was taking. I was always fearful of ODing by mixing the two. Had the issue corrected finally and super glad that's all over with now.

Latest posts

Back