VGMeads' first batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VGMeads

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been reading around on the net and started a few batches

Raspberry Mead::::
1lbs honey
1gal water
1pkg baker's yeast
12oz raspberries

Mint Chocolate Mead::::
1lbs honey
1gal water
1pkg baker's yeast
1cup cocoa powder
3/5Tblsp mint extract
grapes

Vanilla Mead::::
2.5lbs honey
1gal water
1pkg baker's yeast
1/2Tblsp vanilla extract
grapes

Before people start lecturing me about using Baker's yeast, I've read it CAN be used, and I am willing to try the flavor it creates

My meads are fermenting great! All three are bubbling away, and show great fermentation.... I'm worried about the heat though, but if being at 78* today showed NO negative effects, I shouldn't have a problem. I have a basement, but I'm worried it might to too cold down here. I'm so excited to see what happens with them. They should be ready to rack to secondary on the 4th of July. I can't wait!

A few points.......

Bread yeast is usable, like with JAO recipe, though wine yeasts are better as they're developed for the purpose. Plus there's a lot of data to be able to manage the ferment correctly.

Even with bread yeast, I suspect you're gonna end up with dry meads, if that's what you're aiming for ?

You might also want to think about nutrients etc as you haven't got any listed.

regards

fatbloke

I'm just giving the mead itself a try. Whether it's dry or semi-sweet. I figured it would be dry due to the low honey content. As for nutrients, that's what my fruits are for.

With all the complaints people have about using bread yeast, I've decided to do an experiment.

I've taken my vanilla mead, which has 2.5lbs honey per gallon, and racked it to secondary after only five days in primary. I sampled it, it has a rather pleasant taste, both of honey and alcohol. It also had a fairly noticeable smell of alcohol. There was no bread taste that people complained about. The activity had died down, bubbling was slow, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm hoping that a shorter primary time, with the standard secondary time might produce a better mead when using bread yeast.

Multiple people on the internet seem to think using bread yeast causes a bready/doughy flavor.... *shrugs* I thought it tasted fine from its sample.

ALRIGHT!!!!! So, it was finally time to test the mead, being it had sat for two weeks.... Since then it has been racked to secondary twice in order to keep it off the settled yeast.... I did this as after six days the mead/must developed a slight tartness.... I asked a few people if that was normal, but no one got back to me, so I continued to let it sit and kept trying to tend to it so that it wouldn't spoil.

My taste test, to the best of my descriptive ability:::
It has a light creamy flavor from the vanilla, a decent sweetness from the honey, and an underlying tartness that happened during fermentation.

When left to linger in the mouth the tartness sorta lingers and gives a strange blend with the sweetness. Sorta like a mild fruity sourness. It also has a slight tingly/prickly feeling to the tip of my tongue.

I have taken three sips so far, and find that while sweet, that tartness is still quite noticeable. It's somewhat like the skin of a plum, while the flesh of the plum is sweet, that skin holds a slightly bitter tartness...

Overall, though it's been a while since I've had mead of any kind, I would say it is fairly decent. Not sure if it came out good or bad.

ALRIGHT!!!!! So, it was finally time to test the mead, being it had sat for two weeks.... Since then it has been racked to secondary twice in order to keep it off the settled yeast.... I did this as after six days the mead/must developed a slight tartness.... I asked a few people if that was normal, but no one got back to me, so I continued to let it sit and kept trying to tend to it so that it wouldn't spoil.

My taste test, to the best of my descriptive ability:::
It has a light creamy flavor from the vanilla, a decent sweetness from the honey, and an underlying tartness that happened during fermentation.

When left to linger in the mouth the tartness sorta lingers and gives a strange blend with the sweetness. Sorta like a mild fruity sourness. It also has a slight tingly/prickly feeling to the tip of my tongue.

I have taken three sips so far, and find that while sweet, that tartness is still quite noticeable. It's somewhat like the skin of a plum, while the flesh of the plum is sweet, that skin holds a slightly bitter tartness...

Overall, though it's been a while since I've had mead of any kind, I would say it is fairly decent. Not sure if it came out good or bad.
Ok, so, initially, fruit can supply some nutrient, but honey is very, very low in natural nutrients, so fruit is unlikely to give enough. Yes, there's "show" meads with just honey, water and yeast, but that makes for long, very slow (torturous IMO) fermentations that are prone to problems, that can't always be sorted out with only natural ingredients.

As for "it's time to taste" ? After two weeks ? Absolutely no chance of having anything that's in a position for evaluation.

It's unlikely to have finished the ferment. It's unlikely to have cleared enough of the lees to be able to give you something to judge the actual taste of i.e. there's likely to be still too much yeast in suspension, not to have some sort of bread/dough/yeast flavour. Etc etc etc.

Yes, some recipes will ferment quickly, but that's usually properly managed ferments with accurately calculated levels of YAN and other micronutrients, with staggered nutrient addition, daily or twice daily aeration down to the 1/3rd sugar break, etc etc etc.

Between what you'd have got there for tasting and a properly finished mead, it's two entirely different things. They're "poles apart".

Sorry if that's burst the "enthusiasm bubble", but that's the way it is. There's plenty of info, ideas, guidance etc etc out there for "normal" methods, let alone something that's rather experimental. If you haven't made lots of meads, then it's unlikely that you can make an accurate comparison - even if you've tasted lots of "commercial" meads (which tend to be on the sweet side i.e. that the marketers believe because it's a "wine" made from honey, then it should be like watered down honey that happens to have some alcohol in it - they're wrong, there's so many different types to be made/tried).

Keep up your efforts though, mead is good s**t, so IMO it's worth taking the time and effort to make it well.

regards

fatbloke

Well, like I said, was an experiment with the bread yeast. It did ferment fast, because I had it in the top range of the heat it could handle... The others went bad after 6 days, and this one was fine, but I moved it to a cooler spot...

I will be making another batch here soon, but I need to get into the brewing store for some supplies. I will get the right yeast, and the gear I need too.

Well, like I said, was an experiment with the bread yeast. It did ferment fast, because I had it in the top range of the heat it could handle... The others went bad after 6 days, and this one was fine, but I moved it to a cooler spot...

I will be making another batch here soon, but I need to get into the brewing store for some supplies. I will get the right yeast, and the gear I need too.
I'd be glad to know where you found published data on bread yeast...... because with wine yeasts (particularly Lalvin/Lallemand brands) they go the extra mile to publish just about all the relevant data on their products (apart from if there's any recipe/make up like FermaidK). Hence a quick look through the temperature ranges listed on the yeast chart, gives you all the guidance necessary to use the yeasts correctly (presumably for the best results - for wine making....... mead is a little different, unsurprisingly).

Hence it's hard to tell whether your experiment with it was valid or not. Not because bread yeast isn't usable (as previously mentioned) but because it developed for a completely different use, and just happens to be able to ferment sugars into alcohol.

Room temperatures i.e. 65 to 70F would have given a better guide/result, rather than trying (seemingly ?) to get it to ferment as fast as possible. For example, if you read around the forums, a lot of people like to use D47, but if you checked out some of Medsen Fey's posts, you'd see that it's a yeast that produces good results when kept below about 70F, higher than that, and it's known to produce more noticeable fusels.

So while it's not my point to only stick to tried and tested recipes, methods, etc, it's better to get the experience of at least using ingredients with proven (and hopefully) tested/known properties......

If you're happy with the results then that's great, but your "The others went bad after 6 days" comment suggests that some of your ingredients ended up "down the drain" ? To me, that's a waste of good ingredients......

Wow, sorry it took me so long to get back to this... I wouldn't call it publication, to be honest, but through testimonials online and DIY videos on mead making.

------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I bottled my plain/vanilla mead, and today it was taken in to be tasted by a local man who judges at fairs and runs the home brewing supply store. He told me, first off "Congratulations, that is unmistakably a mead" and talk to me about the fact that any residual yeasty flavor will weed itself out over the aging process. He said my mead turned out great, and said "Full bodied, sweet honey notes, with delicate notes of citrus and pear."

All in all, though My one gallon ended up a half gallon with all the racking I did to keep it from going bad like my last two batches, still gave me three bottles, four, if I count the one that broke.

I'm so happy.... I have myself a 5gal glass carboy, a proper airlock and a hydrometer.

Back