Very, very old ceramic demijon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broosmith

Reaction score
Have just gotten back into home brewing and have started with a few beers, have a mead on the go currently, and I'm looking to do some wine soon as well. When talking to my father-in-law about what I was doing I mentioned that I would need to get a couple of demijons and he went out the back shed and came back with a ceramic one that he last used about 50 years ago to make mulberry wine.

I'm wanting to get some glass ones for brewing but would like to make something up in his one for old time sake. The problem is that even after several soakings each with water and with sanitizer the water comes out crystal clear but it still has an earthy/dirt smell.

Is this thing salvageable or should I just put it in with my gear as a display piece?

I would let it sit for a week in a heavy hit of PBW than do a good long BTF Iodophor soak double strength then let it sit for a week in star san if that doesn't do it then I would say it's a display piece

I wonder if maybe perhaps it was used as a flower pot during its break from brewing.

If i was in your shoes, and was very sure that the demijon was free from hazardous contaminates, and sanitized, I'd use it and see how well that earthy dirt smell adds to the taste of wine.

I love that smell.

I think PapaGanj is right. Do you know that the ceramic was not fired with lead? You say the container is 50 years old. Could it be older? Lead was commonly used with thrown pottery. Could you get it tested? Mead and wine are quite acidic and alcohol has the added value of being a great solvent. Leaching lead may not harm any young children (unless they are drinking your mead and wines) but it may cause you and those dear to you significant illness.

Latest posts

Back