Very old extract kit ..... Toss or brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snix

Beer, wish I knew what I'm doing
Reaction score
I have a very old Pliny the Elder extract kit (maybe 2014) that I got with an equipment buy on Craigslist. LME, DME and 14 oz of hops are all sealed. Is it a waste of time or go for it?
This will be my 2nd time brewing.

Where have all the ingredients been kept? If you've kept the hops in the freezer the whole time, yeast in the fridge, and if you don't mind LME that may come out darker than intended, go for it. If you haven't properly kept the ingredients, I probably wouldn't put the time into it.

You could do as @VirginiaHops1 suggested and brew it and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you dump it. It's really up to you, do you want the practice brewing or do you want a beer you can drink?

4 year old DME?- no problem
4 year old LME? As Rob mentioned above, it'll be darker than fresh, and depending on how it was stored, could be oxidized and stale.
4 year old hops, in original nitrogen-purged packages? if stored in a freezer, no problem. If stored at room temp, then there might be some degradation.
4 year old yeast? Get new. Even if it is dry. A package or 2 of US-05 is cheap insurance.
Me- it was a free kit of something I've haven't done before(and is an expensive kit), so I would brew it, and take my chances.
Good luck, and let us know!
By the way snix- Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Thanks all,
Ingredients I'm sure were stored in a garage for years but going to try it with new yeast. When will know if it tastes like crap after the boil, fermentation or bottling?

Im skeptical about the hops. Garage storing for 4 years is not going to be very good. I'd probably toss yeast, get 2 fresh packs of US-05 and a pound of inexpensive hops, cascade would be good choice. Then when you brew open the fresh hops and smell them. Then open the old hops and smell those. If the old hops smell sort of like the fresh hops but just less...you could use them for bittering. Probably assume they have lost at least half their AA and so use double the amounts the recipe suggests for the 60 minute addition. But don't trust those old hops for your late flavor and aroma additions. Just use the new hops for that. If the old hops smell cheesy or otherwise unpleasant dont use the at all. Just bitter with the fresh pack and get rid of all the old hops.

Interested to hear what you decide to do and how it comes out.

I bought some Mr Beer kits stored in a garage and just barely over 2 years old. Tossed the booster and yeast adding DME and WLP 001, and added hops. All 4 tasted like molasses.

I gave it a go, hops smelled smelled the same as the new ones I have. OG. was in range, used two new Wyeast1056 after 14 hours it was breathing like a dragon at 68^. One question I have after adding 10 ounces of hops I had trouble transferring to fermenter. Should I have put them in a bag to get some of the muck out?

Using hop bags may save you some beer, but you'll get less flavor and bitterness.
A better solution is to tweak the water volume and grain bill to allow for wort being absorbed by the hops.
Hope to hear how it worked out.

Back