Very New Brewer In NY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can jump right in and get a basic brewing kit (from your local home brew store) or from the site sponsors at the top of the page. then get a recipe kit to start with and follow the directions. exploring this site, you can find other brewers around you or brewing clubs in your area to join. watching others brew is a great way to learn. otherwise, start reading all the info on this site (it will keep you busy for many months). :)

oh, and welcome!

I would suggest reading John Palmer's book "How to Brew". This book has truely changed my views on brewing and has helped me understand all of the needed things in order to make an awesome beer. You can buy the book at any store (support the author!!) or you can go to How to Brew - By John Palmer and browse through the entire book online.

Besides that, all you need to get started is pretty much one of those "starter kits" you can find online for less than $100 bucks. You need 2 buckets with lids, airlock, syphon, hydrometer, bottling wand, and a capper. Oh yeah, and something to boil your water in (at least 2-3 gallons, 5 the best). Besides that, you don't "need" anything to get started but as soon as you catch the bug you'll be out at the LHBS all the time finding the next new gadget to try out!

Thanks for the advice. I think I got a little ahead of myself. Funny but I got so into the thought about owing my own brewry that I went ahead and ordered beer glasses from http://www.bargainmugs.com but I have no beer to fill them with. My brother brews his own beer but he's in Arizona and I'm in NY and I don't see him very often.

I did have www.bargainmugs.com make him 24 pilsner glasses as a surprise for his 50th birthday party.:rockin: I hope he likes them!

Bottom line is I'm stuck with 12 beautifully designed beer glasses but no beer. I will try the "online starters kit" for beginners. Will let you know how it goes.

Definitely read this site. I've been reading for the last week about 5-7 hours a day (work is very slow here in Moscow right now, because the Russians hate us) and I feel like I've only read 10 threads. True, most of those were the "read these first" threads, so I don't ask any stupid questions when they come up, but there is so much knowledge on this site you can't take it all in if you spend months just reading.

Welcome, good luck and happy brewing!

Back