Very Murky IIPA w/1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhoffer-Knopfe

Reaction score
I've always used Pacmac for my IIPA (10+ batches) and get very clear beer every time; I always bottle condition. I haven't been able to find Pacmac so I've now switched to 1056. The first and only other time I used 1056 the beer was very murky; the yeast is the only valiable in this equation. I have just racked from the primary to the secondary and based on my notes this appears to look just as murky as the other time I used the 1056. Has anyone else experienced murky beer with 1056? If I were to add additional yeast of a different strain, say Wyeast 2112 which has always given me brilliantly clear beer, would that solve my clarity issue?

YEAST STRAIN: 1056 | American Ale™

Very clean, crisp flavor characteristics with low fruitiness and mild ester production. A very versatile yeast for styles that desire dominant malt and hop character. This strain makes a wonderful “House” strain. Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations. Normally requires filtration for bright beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Medium-Low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 60-72F, 15-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 11% ABV

That is right off wyeast's website. Flocculation is medium-low. The yeast doesn't really fall out of suspension very well. They say it requires filtration for clear, bright beer...but i personally like to cold crash crash it. Get your beer down to 40 and the yeast will fall right out of suspension. Rack off the top of the cake and you should get clearer, cleaner beer

Just my 2 cents! 1056 is a good yeast though! Just needs a little help clearing

Hemicuda - Thank you for the input. I haven't crash cooled before bottling in the past, normally I will refridgerate for 2-3 weeks before consumption. Last night I pulled a bottle out of the back of the 'fridge that had been there for over 2 months, still as murky as ever.

+1 cold crash, and/or add some gelatin to the secondary. I recently used gelatin for the first time on an IPA (in a keg at 40 degrees), and it was crystal clear in about 5 days.

Hemicuda - Thank you for the input. I haven't crash cooled before bottling in the past, normally I will refridgerate for 2-3 weeks before consumption. Last night I pulled a bottle out of the back of the 'fridge that had been there for over 2 months, still as murky as ever.

i don't think you are having a yeast issue, 1056 will not stay in suspension (enough to look murky) for two months at room temp let alone in the fridge.

I was thinking that because it stays in suspension more, when he was bottling he was getting more yeast than normal and then pouring the entire bottle into a glass, with the extra sediment at the bottom of the bottle, it might cause haziness

i don't think you are having a yeast issue, 1056 will not stay in suspension (enough to look murky) for two months at room temp let alone in the fridge.

Are you thinking possible Chill Haze?

If that's the case, BYO did a nice article on it

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Conquer Chill Haze

I think 1056 is the same as US-05. Not a super great flocculator in my hands. I don't have the ability to cold crash, so most of my US05 beers end up with a bit of yeast haze.

for yeast to cause haze in beer you have to have an awful lot of it swimming around. the haze issues people are having probably have more to do with proteins than yeast. even if you can not cold crash your fermentor full of beer a cold fridge will cause the yeast to drop out of bottled beer, certainly after weeks or months. yeast is not to blame for hazy beer, look to the rest of your process.

As a previous post quotes wyeast, 1056 isn't the best floccing strain. 'requires filtration for bright beers'. That said, some of my clearest, brightest beers were with 1056, no filtration. It's one of my go-to strains for American styles and I've never noticed yeast in suspension after proper fermentation and conditioning times. I have, however, noticed chill haze in many of my pales with 1056 if served before a month or so of conditioning. Not sure if that's what you're getting, but I thought I'd add that to the mix.

Back