Very Low Efficiency! Is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
After doing a few brews on my new all grain system I am only getting an efficiency between 50% and 60%. I am only using a stainless steel braid in the bottom of my mash tun so I figure this is the main reason for the low efficiency. My main concern is if this efficiency is TOO low and will cause problems for my beer or do I just need to adjust recipes for this low efficiency and I'll be fine?

Thank you for the help!

You could adjust your recipes, but I suspect there's some issue with your process that's causing the low efficiency. If you're batch sparging, the braid should work fine.

i had this same problem till i built my new single tier 1/2 bbl brewhouse, my mash tun was a square cooler with a stainless steel braid on the bottom, my eff. was also no better then 65% and i did adjust my grain bill to compensate, which worked as long as my temp would remain constant, and i had no way of controlling temp, so it was more grain and 90min mashes to achieve my desired results, then i bought a acrylic plate cut it to shape, and drilled tons of holes used pvc pipe cut in 1/4's to act a feet for the false bottom, then i started getting almost 75% eff. basically fixed the dead space i had with old configuration, but temp control and design made the difference, rethink your lautering manifold and your eff. will improve:ban:

I woudln't think the manifold design is the problem if you are batch sparging. Have you calibrated your thermometer to make sure your mash / sparge temps are correct?

How much water per grain are you mashing ad sparging with?

Who crushed the grain.....if its too coarse that could also have and effect.

THere are many of us out there brewing with stainless braid in the tun and getting decent efficiency so I would check other things / process first.

I have the grain crushed at my LHBS. I did calibrate my thermometer and it was accurate and I am using 1.25 q/lb.

Back