Very long fermentation? WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
So a month ago I made a batch (4 gallon) of Moose Drool Clone and I pitched a starter (1.5 liter) of WLP002. It took off like a rocket then seemed to stop after about 2 days. I thought it was either finished or maybe I might be getting my first stuck fermentation. I wasn't that worried because I am still in the process of getting bottles, so I knew it would be awhile before I went to bottle.

Fast forward to last night. I now have enough bottles to cover the batch, but as I was studying last night for a midterm today (fermenter is beside desk) I could here and see the airlock bubbling about once every 2 minutes!:eek:

I know to not try to judge fermentation by airlock activity, but I don't know what would make the airlock consistently bubble like that. I'm thinking maybe its a stuck fermentation that decided to pick back up. Or maybe the yeast is having a cannibalistic orgy (autolysis)?

I know the answer at the end of the day is to pop the top off and take a gravity reading and give it a taste to see what might be going on, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Back