Very easy mini fridge ferm. chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
I built this years ago, and it worked great.. thought I'd pass it along since I recently came across pictures tucked away deep in my dropbox.

I had a small mini fridge, but wanted to be able to hold more than one bucket/carboy. I had recently done a remodel on my kitchen, so had an extra base cabinet (after the others went up in garage)

I used about the smallest as they come:
fermchamber002.JPG

I recently picked up this cabinet off amazon for something else, but it's pretty cheap and could work for this project.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KW0BMY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here is cabinet with a hole cut in the side, shelf cut out, and some insulation added:
fermchamber006.JPG

I removed the fridge door and simply put the fridge up against it. Fridge needed to be raised up a few inches, easy enough with some 2x4s or whatever.
fermchamber013.JPG

My solution to keeping them snug together
fermchamber017.JPG

And since I removed hinges, this worked for keeping door in place
fermchamber016.JPG

That's it.. no wiring, very little DIY skills or tools needed. Just need to cut a hole and glue some insulation on the inside of the box. It worked great, and I could fit 3 carboys/buckets in it. Johnson controller to set the desired temp. I also put plexi-glass on bottom of cabinet, so buckets wouldn't dig into the styrofoam. The top is just a lose piece of counter top, but anything would work. Slap some insulation on it.

A larger size mini fridge could probably keep a double base/upper cabinet cool, giving you even more room.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great idea.
I'm now kicking myself for throwing out a couple of old cabinets I had in the garage

Back