[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PHP Version 5.6.33-0+deb8u1
so basically by starting with an older version and upgrading you kept the original PHP5 interpreter being used by Apache. Great for upgrades, not a simple option for new installs. I've got a version that works with PHP7 but the install routine needs some work. That work is currently being done which is hopefully great news for future installers.

It's been over a year since I posted this up. Not sure how many downloads I've had, but I thought I might post this up again.

This is a HTML/XML simple file based beer menu that "looks" like my original 2 column Rpints layout, but it doesn't require PHP or MySQL. It is a quick and easy beer menu that runs from any web server. You can currently see my live beer menu (served up from IIS) here: http://www.surfcitybrewing.com/taplist

To download the beer menu files, go here: http://www.surfcitybrewing.com/download/LiteBeerMenu.zip

There are some extra images in this zip file that aren't needed and there's a couple of js files used for doing requests to the BCS for temperature display. If you don't need to do that, you can delete those files.

This layout is identical to my two column version I did for RPints. After two SD card crashes though I didn't feel like reinstalling all the mysql and PHP components just for running a beer menu. Thus, I slimmed it down to just the display page, css and image files and read in the beers from an XML file. When I get time, I had planned to just read in the beers from my Beersmith BeerXML file - not gone there yet though.

I'm not a web developer by trade, so I'm sure there are some better ways to do some of the things, but this works well and doesn't need all the overhead of the original Rpints.

Love the lively colors :mug:
I presume you don't support flow meters.

Cheers!
Color is a sunset picture in Huntington Beach! I actually rotate different pics through as the background.

No flow meters, no keg database, no overhead! Just edit the XML file when you want to change a beer. That's why I call it the lite beer menu.

I just looking to do a simple install (no flowmeter). What's the latest/best version to get? The 2.0.1 zip file, latest git pull, or one of the branches?

I just looking to do a simple install (no flowmeter). What's the latest/best version to get? The 2.0.1 zip file, latest git pull, or one of the branches?
Once I work out the install issues and get the install process documented... My repo will likely be the simplest to install on a current RPi OS. Until then however, the original on an older OS is your best bet.

Once I work out the install issues and get the install process documented... My repo will likely be the simplest to install on a current RPi OS. Until then however, the original on an older OS is your best bet.
I'm installing on a window 7 based apache/php/sql server. I got the 2.0.1 zip version more or less working, but as i started reading more i wonder if this was the right version to begin with

I'm installing on a window 7 based apache/php/sql server. I got the 2.0.1 zip version more or less working, but as i started reading more i wonder if this was the right version to begin with
Completely doable. Just not well documented. It really depends on what you want to achieve honestly and if what you have does what you want it to or you want to build on what you have or not. (i.e. do you want updates? The official branch appears to be abandoned)

wrt the original RaspberryPints, v2.0.1 is the right kit to begin with...

Cheers!

wrt the original RaspberryPints, v2.0.1 is the right kit to begin with...

Cheers!
Thanks. I got a working version going.
http://bt.beerprojects.com/raspberrypints/index.php

Just need to figure out the nuances and check the error logs. I added my beers and then went to change the taps. Seems that didn't load the full settings for the beer i selected and then saved new values in its place.

Typically folks get a bit too creative in the "Tasting Notes" field when they build their My Beers tables.
You cannot use tabs or hard returns, for example.
Before you get too far along, try simplifying any "Tasting Notes" entries you've already created and see if the properties load correctly...

Cheers!

fwiw, I upgraded my working Jessie kit to boot on the RPi3B+ successfully and so far I haven't found anything broken.
R'Pints (and BrewPi and everything else I run) loads but I haven't popped an Alamode on top to see what's going to happen there yet.
Hopefully this weekend if removing all the downed timber on the property doesn't beat me up too badly :drunk:

btw, the gigabit enet and 2.4/5.0ghz wifi on the 3B+ don't suck. Neither does the faster clock.
Now if they didn't botch the UART implementation like they did with the 3B we're cooking with propane!

Cheers!

Bucked up and hauled out close to 10 cords of downed trees today and barely lost any blood at all! :ban:
After a long hot soak, a quick burger on the grill with a couple o' beers I sat down at the workstation, eyeballed the RPi3B+ running an IP camera app, and decided to just slap on an Alamode shield and see what happens.

Et voila! Holy cow, it's registering pours like it was no big deal! :drunk:
And I didn't make a single configuration change from the same SD card that worked on an RPi2B with the Alamode.
Also running my motion sensor stuff and temperature logger and IP camera app and music player all together without a hiccup.

Bottom line, after the 3B fiasco The Foundation got this model right. I'm going to need to do some reading on the 3B+ architecture to understand how they did it...

Cheers!

ps: I title this picture: "Digital Courage"
One can be hella brave if there's a known-working backup an arm's reach away...

digital_courage.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say the price of that kit isn't horrible at all - you might be able to cut it by $10-15 by shopping hard and waiting longer but where's the fun ;)
Anyway, while the hardware is quite capable the 3B+ will likely arrive with a preloaded Raspbian Stretch kit, which is a problem wrt running RaspberryPints 2.0.1:

R'Pints was developed on phpmysql5 for database management and used a database connection method that worked through the Raspbian Jessie OS release (which still included phpmysql5) but that method was deprecated and eventually removed with phpmysql7 - which is what is bundled with Stretch.

I was able to upgrade a Raspbian Jessie system to boot and work on an RPi3B+ successfully, which is one work-around/alternative, but the Catch-22 is you need to do the upgrade steps on a non-3B+ because Jessie's bootloader won't work on a 3B+ :drunk:

Another alternative that might have longer legs: if you look back in this thread @kcolby has been writing a complete replacement for RaspberryPints that should work on Stretch that he's willing to help folks install...

Cheers!

Well...about 99% of what you said went way over my head. I am NOT smart on most of this coding stuff, but i can follow directions very good.

Having that said, can you point me to a complete kit that i can use for rasberry pints by following the directions on the website?

Im not looking for much other than a simple display of whats on tap...no fancy motion sensors or flow meters, just a digital list that i can write a description and shows the names of the beer etc, maybe the abv and the ibu, thats it.

And i would like to be able to show my brewery name at the top. So very simple compared to what ive seen you guys do i think!

If i buy each part individually, will it work as the rasberrypints web site says?

The description of that kit says its preloaded with NOOBS, is that the same as the stretch thing you mentioned?

if you're going to buy the latest and greatest Raspberry Pi, I highly recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBVMTSL/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It comes with the official case where some of the other kits come with an older case that doesn't line up correctly.

NOOBS stands for New Out Of the Box Software - it's how you install the operating system on your Pi.

Stretch is the name of the latest Operating System for the Pi. Older versions like Jessie allowed Raspberry Pints to work just fine, but Stretch doesn't so much.

I've been working with @kcolby (he's been writing code and I've been trying it on my RPi) and I think he's making some great progress on an updated version of Raspberry Pints.

I'm not using flow meters on my setup, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically i can buy the parts, but cant do the digital taplist thing until the software has been corrected?

Note that the blogspot article specifically discusses an RPi3B - not a 3B+.
The critical difference is the original Jessie bootloader (the initial boot code that actually instructs the RPi how to load the OS) works on a 3B (and 2B, B+, B, A, and Zero/Zero W) but will not work at all on a 3B+ (I proved it. You get a blinking red LED and that's it).

[edit] Hadn't even considered it, but another possibility might be installing mysql5 on Stretch. I took a quick look around and came across one potential winner.

I'm a fair distance from advancing to Stretch even as a science experiment on one of my test beds, but I'll get to it eventually...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Is there a place to buy the older model such as the 3B or 2B and not the b+ ?

All i see is discontinued when i find a link to one

They're getting hard to come by - I haven't seen a 3B in awhile, but I did stumble on a pair of 2B's a few weeks ago locally and snapped them up because they do everything I need without ado. That's when I picked up my first 3B+ as well.

I tend to dump on the RPi Org but in this case the change from mysql to mariadb was pretty much forced on them by Oracle. The thing that kills me is so many folks dismiss problems with a "mariadb is a drop-in for mysql" statement that's pretty clearly bogus.

Anyway...For folks that aren't fluent in dealing with all this kind of crazy I think working with @kcolby might be the best option. I have a feeling he'd appreciate some user input and regret I just haven't had the cycles to give his solution a go, but I have a massive project for a customer that is keeping me up late as it is...

Cheers!

so If I could find a model 3B or 2B, then I could follow that blog post and "retro fit" (if you will) the Jessie software, and then after that, install the rasberrypints?
such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CD5VC92/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

or this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EKBJ1I6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sorry for all the questions, I just am not smart as you guys on all of this, and don't want to just throw money at something only to find out I never could have done it to begin with because I bought the wrong thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the blogspot article specifically discusses an RPi3B - not a 3B+.
The critical difference is the original Jessie bootloader (the initial boot code that actually instructs the RPi how to load the OS) works on a 3B (and 2B, B+, B, A, and Zero/Zero W) but will not work at all on a 3B+ (I proved it. You get a blinking red LED and that's it).

Out of curiosity, how have I managed to get my 3B+ and Alamode to work, when others have not? And I am no super guru by any means.

Disregard. I've found the issue. Seems the seller I purchased my Pi from had it listed as a 3B+, but when I looked at the actual board, it's only a 3B.

Last edited:
You can install/boot Jessie on a 3B though you may need to update the driver set to enable the wifi and bluetooth radios.
Use the enet port until you get wifi running.
Once you get the system up you should be able to install RaspberryPints successfully...

Cheers!

You can install/boot Jessie on a 3B though you may need to update the driver set to enable the wifi and bluetooth radios.
Use the enet port until you get wifi running.
Once you get the system up you should be able to install RaspberryPints successfully...

Cheers!
Is this after i go through the above post and install Jessie, or should i simply turn it all on and get everything updated first, then go back and install jessie?

You should only need to install Jessie, then update it in place (sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade) to bring Jessie to its last/latest version which should then fully support an RPi3B but still be able to run RaspberryPints. If you go back in this thread a bunch of pages there are links to a Jessie kit you can download, burn to your SD card and boot from it...

Cheers!

Not that I'm aware of. Most who chose to use cheaper sensors, including myself, chose THIS ONE.

I didn't buy from this seller, but it was around the same price when I bought mine. The website I got mine from has since doubled in price - around $10 a sensor.

I drilled mine out on the back side but admittedly have not yet installed it.

ok, so I got the raspberry pi B model. After installing the software and get started following the directions, I can not install apache 2....I tried to continue going and got to the part where I download the latest version (2.0.1), which I did in chromium on the raspberry, but when I try and type the command to unzip the files, it says it can not be located or does not exist.

So I backed up to the beginning, and again on the LAMP portion, I am getting the error on installing apache2

When I type in "php --version" I am getting a "bash: php: can not be found"

I gave up and reformatted the stupid little sd card thing, now I am trying to find the jessie image to restart from scratch

Well i tried a different image of jessie lite, no go...tried jessie i found online somewhere, again no go...

So i reinstalled the rasbian image, and got the same issues with the start trying to get LAMPS

Is there just a way i can make a ppt or something and use this dumb thing to display it constantly?

Back