[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been having issues getting into my myphpadmin to backup all my beers and info on rPints. Can anyone shoot me to a link or provide some directions for where to start doing this. Thanks
What kind of issue are you having getting into phpMyAdmin? you can try using the credentials in the RPints configuration to log into phpMyAdmin and see if that lets you in to backup the DB.

What kind of issue are you having getting into phpMyAdmin? you can try using the credentials in the RPints configuration to log into phpMyAdmin and see if that lets you in to backup the DB.

Its been about 6 month or more since ive backed up. I have completely forgotten where to go to get into myphpadmin to do the backup so i can update my info. I didnt take any notes but i will be this time around.

give http://<yourPI>/phpMyAdmin/ a shot as far as the location of phpMyAdmin to start with. You'll probably want to log in as root with whatever password you think you might have used when you set it up.

Well, ok, let's start at the beginning: can you get phpmyadmin up in a browser?
It will be looking for the user and password from the original installation of mysql (typically 'root' with whatever password you used).
If you get logged in, go to the top of the left pane and use the drop-down list to select the raspberrypints database.
And if you get that far, you'll then see all of the tables inside the database.
At that point you could select the tables of interest and export them to the system you're running the browser on.

fwiw, I found if you backup the database file itself (typically /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1) you can later restore that file and have everything back to that point in time. I have my system archive that file at 12:10AM every evening to a NAS and have had to use it a couple of times...

Cheers!

[ps] fwiw, it's a lot easier to launch phpmyadmin if you create a symbolic link in the Apache2 DocumentRoot (typically either /var/www or /var/www/html, depending) pointing to the executable, thusly:

Code:
$ cd /var/www
$ ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin

Ill give it a shot when i get home tonight. Thanks

It will be looking for the user and password from the original installation of mysql (typically 'root' with whatever password you used).
If you get logged in, go to the top of the left pane and use the drop-down list to select the raspberrypints database.
At that point you could select the tables of interest and export them to the system you're running the browser on.

fwiw, I found if you backup the database file itself (typically /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1) you can later restore that file and have everything back to that point in time. I have my system archive that file at 12:10AM every evening to a NAS and have had to use it a couple of times...

Cheers!

[ps] fwiw, it's a lot easier to launch phpmyadmin if you create a symbolic link in the Apache2 DocumentRoot (typically either /var/www or /var/www/html, depending) pointing to the executable, thusly:

Code:
$ cd /var/www

This just shows how long its been since Ive done a back up. I dont even remember how to get to the login screen. Its is just the pi's IP/phpmyadmin/ in the browser?

Cheers!

Code:
$ cd /var/www

Thats what I thought but it has not bee working...just giving me the 404 Not Found error
OK, does the directory:
/usr/share/phpmyadmin
exist and have stuff in it?

if so:
create a symbolic link in the Apache2 DocumentRoot (typically either /var/www or /var/www/html, depending) pointing to the executable, thusly:

Code:
$ cd /var/www

Open a terminal session, then do

Code:
ls /usr/share/phpmyadmin

If you get "ls: cannot access /usr/share/phpmyadmi: No such file or directory" then it's not installed.
Otoh, if you get a screen full of file names, it's installed, so then run the two commands I provided.

Code:
$ cd /var/www

Then open a browser and point it to http://your_ip_address/phpmyadmin

Cheers!

Yeah, I was looking into setting up a raspberry pints system on my kegerator. This thread has completely scared me off from that idea. All this computer programming is way beyond my pay grade. I need a raspberry pints for dummies - a specific list of hardware and instructions. I thought I found that at the raspberry pints website, but a lot of the hardware they recommend is no longer available. I guess I’ll just wait until I hear the pfffffffft of the empty keg to know when I’m out of beer.

*beep boop beep boop* NOOB ALERT *beep boop*
Glad to see this thread is still very alive. Thank you to everyone who helps out. I have a question about soldering my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B to an aLaMode_v3 in order to connect to flow meters. If the alamode is stupid I am open to buying something better. I'm not too worried about how it looks (it'll be hidden anyways); more worried about how difficult it is to add flow meters. Anyways...

1. The alamode came with the pins shown in Image 1. I know I will very likely not need most of them, but just in case I would, should I solder them so that they look like Image 2?
2. The alamode also came with pin, um, extensions(?). Should I connect them to the rasp pi so that they are furthest from the USB ports (as shown in Image 3) or closer? The pins are related to the next question.
3. When soldering the alamode onto the pins connected to the rasp pi, do I need to worry about the other soldered pins creating a short circuit by contacting the USB ports (see Image 4)? I would think that IF a short circuit were to occur, it would occur whether or not I decide to solder the pins onto the alamode (right?).

Thank you in advance.

P.S. A better man than me really should create a new, updated raspberry pints website.

Attachments

• Image 1.JPG
    Image 1.JPG
    491.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Image 2.JPG
    Image 2.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Image 3.JPG
    Image 3.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Image 4.JPG
    Image 4.JPG
    439.6 KB · Views: 127
Has anyone tried modifying the code of RPints to change the fields/add new ones to the beers?

I'm no PHP expert by any stretch, but I've fumbled around a bit and was able to take several of the fields off of the beer_form.php file and added a couple new ones, but when I set them, they aren't actually setting.

I'm quite sure it's just a matter of more files needing to be edited... stuff to declare the new variables, etc... I'm just not sure by looking at them which specific files I need to dive into.

[...]
1. The alamode came with the pins shown in Image 1. I know I will very likely not need most of them, but just in case I would, should I solder them so that they look like Image 2?

You'd be OK doing that.

2. The alamode also came with pin, um, extensions(?). Should I connect them to the rasp pi so that they are furthest from the USB ports (as shown in Image 3) or closer? The pins are related to the next question.

Not sure what the question is here, but everything provided with the Alamode kit should be soldered to the Alamode, never the RPi.

3. When soldering the alamode onto the pins connected to the rasp pi, do I need to worry about the other soldered pins creating a short circuit by contacting the USB ports (see Image 4)? I would think that IF a short circuit were to occur, it would occur whether or not I decide to solder the pins onto the alamode (right?).

The Alamode kit came with at least one rubber self-sticking pad. This should be placed atop the tallest shield, typically the shield around the USB ports. That will keep the Alamode from shorting its pins.

P.S. A better man than me really should create a new, updated raspberry pints website.

That would be nice...

Cheers!

You'd be OK doing that.

Not sure what the question is here, but everything provided with the Alamode kit should be soldered to the Alamode, never the RPi.

The Alamode kit came with at least one rubber self-sticking pad. This should be placed atop the tallest shield, typically the shield around the USB ports. That will keep the Alamode from shorting its pins.

That would be nice...

Cheers!
Thanks for your reply! With regards to Question 2, what I meant was which of the raspberry pi pins should the Alamode be soldered to? You can see in Image 4 how there are additional pins to the left of the ones that are currently inserted into the raspberry pi. Does that matter?

Thanks.

Ah, ok, I think I get your concern.
The Alamode was designed for the RPiB - which had a 2x13 IO header.
The RPiB+, RPi2B, and RPi3B, grew that header to 2x20.
The Alamode IO header should always be registered to pins 1 & 2, which leaves pins 27-40 unconnected between the two boards...

Cheers!

If I can keep up with the changes needed and get a solid working app and documentation built, I'd consider trying to hunt down the original RaspberryPints guy about officially taking it over. The goal would be to make it more of a community project than is seems to have originally been. Anything run solely by a single individual is bound to fail when said individual gets bored and wanders off or burns out.

Ah, ok, I think I get your concern.
The Alamode was designed for the RPiB - which had a 2x13 IO header.
The RPiB+, RPi2B, and RPi3B, grew that header to 2x20.
The Alamode IO header should always be registered to pins 1 & 2, which leaves pins 27-40 unconnected between the two boards...

Cheers!
Thank you for the insight. I found the following article for anyone who has the same question as me. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/pinmappings/pinmappingsrpi)

Yeah, I was looking into setting up a raspberry pints system on my kegerator. This thread has completely scared me off from that idea. All this computer programming is way beyond my pay grade. I need a raspberry pints for dummies - a specific list of hardware and instructions. I thought I found that at the raspberry pints website, but a lot of the hardware they recommend is no longer available. I guess I’ll just wait until I hear the pfffffffft of the empty keg to know when I’m out of beer.
Wish i could help. I last set it up a year or two ago when we were first getting jessie working. I can repost my Google drive link to the jessie image and all the directions that I made to dummy install it with with flow meters back then. I can repost it when i get home from work today if you want though the others might have to chime in that it is a bad idea because things are or are no longer available in the get catalog.
I went with the rpi 3.

On a side note did wyolum ever fix his dos2unix problem? That was so annoying.

Plumbing question-off topic relative to code and programming. But, does anyone have a source for a simple connector, like a union, that would connect a 7/8-14 male shank directly to a 1/2" NPS thread on an Adafruit flowmeter.

I don't know of any "wireless" flow meters. I'd expect power to be an issue with that concept.

I have gotten an R'Pints setup working using an RPi2B communicating with a remoted Uno providing flow meter data over Bluetooth.
I might have posted a how-to in this thread, not sure, but it wasn't a big to-do...

Cheers!

I love my RaspberryPints setup but I continue to struggle with ghost pours. I’m leaning towards a temperature stratification issue but I’m not sure. My SF800s are 12”-15” from the keg out and mounted horizontally. I have a PIR setup waking the screen when I’m around it so I was wondering about the feasibility of only recording pours if the PIR has detected motion in the last x minutes. Should I be trying to find and resolve the cause of the ghost pours or heading down the path of trying to have RPints ignore them? Thanks in advance for the help.

I love my RaspberryPints setup but I continue to struggle with ghost pours. I’m leaning towards a temperature stratification issue but I’m not sure. My SF800s are 12”-15” from the keg out and mounted horizontally. I have a PIR setup waking the screen when I’m around it so I was wondering about the feasibility of only recording pours if the PIR has detected motion in the last x minutes. Should I be trying to find and resolve the cause of the ghost pours or heading down the path of trying to have RPints ignore them? Thanks in advance for the help.
The software approach tied to the pir sensor sounds like a cool mod that might prove to be the suspenders to the fixing your stratification and carb levels belt. But you should be able to get things settled without the software fix. A fan really helps. As does making sure that your carb, line length and temperature setings are dialed in so that your beer isn't off-gassing co2 in the lines. In the end, fixing those issues will cut down on phantom pours and make your beer pours better in general. With a dialed in system, you'll still get phantom pours to the tune of a pint or so per keg, which are easily cleaned up when you're near kicking the keg.

fwiw, I had a keg kick two days ago with exactly 0 ounces remaining indicated.
It actually startled me, even though it's happened before, and I knew there wasn't much more than one pour remaining, but my attention at the moment was on my %&^*@# taxes so when I heard the sputter I looked up and R'Pints went to zero on that keg.
I must say a second keg that kicked an hour later did have an extra 8 ounces more than an indicated "kicked", so there's a bit of slop, but not much!

As CadiBrewer mentioned, temperature differential is to be avoided, because at the end of the day ghost pours are almost certainly caused by CO2 bubbles kicking the meter rotor over. So, keep a low value temperature differential setting on your controller (my keezer controller is set to +/- 1°F differential) and run a PC fan 24/7 to eliminate stratification.

Also, avoid over-carbonation, as it pretty much guarantees CO2 outgassing.

wrt using the PIR to enable pours being registered, first thought is the python port listener (flow_monitor.py) is the perfect place to hack that in. Indeed I suspect one could meld my pir script into the port listener and do everything right there. Set a long time-out so the first event enables pours for, say, 5 minutes...

Cheers!

[edit1] Another thought: make sure sufficient voltage is being supplied to the meters. The SF800 will not operate properly at 3.3V, it needs a nominal 5V, minimum.

[edit2] More thoughts on the PIR bit: I believe I can define a state inside the PIR script to set and clear a GPIO "as output" when the PIR has triggered plus the Sleep delay before it'll trigger again. And I expect it shouldn't be too difficult to have another GPIO "as input" to flow_monitor.py block pour messages from being forwarded to pours.php. Wire the two together and it may just work, with the advantage that the two processes remain independent.

Last edited:
A few years ago I converted my keezer into a ferm chamber and decided to get a Kegco 3 tap kegerator. I wasn't brewing as much as I used to so the keezer was wasting space and I was tired of lifting kegs in and out. With the built in temperature controller on the current unit, I don't think I have any control on the differential. I have a Frankenstein tower setup for various reasons and I know that the temperature there is about 7 degrees higher than the temperature I have the controller set at. I have measured the actual beer temperature and it is within a degree of the set temperature. I almost always carb my kegs with the set it and forget it method so I doubt they are over-carbed. Since the unit already has a fan in it (i'm not sure how frequently this runs) and I have a tower cooler fan running 24/7, I was hoping to avoid having a third fan running but that may be the smart thing to do.

I'll double check to make sure the meters are actually getting 5V.

As for your PIR script, I changed it yesterday to start flowmon on a detection and stop flowmon several minutes later. I know this is a crude approach but it only took me a minute and it seems work for now.

you guys heard of: www.kegtron.com ?

They emailed our homebrew club, told them to become sponsors here but they said they were trying to gauge interest first. They said they want to use their own app, and have no current plans of trying to integrate with rpints.

Any tips on where to get the SF800 (or alternative) flow meters that aren't $60/ea?

This is all I did.

def MOTION(PIR_PIN):
os.system('sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start')
os.system(cmd)
time.sleep(60)
os.system('sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop')

Please let me know if I did anything stupid.

So I wanted to update some of the beer categories--I managed to edit the sql database using phpmyadmin, but how do I get raspberry pints to recognize these changes.
I suspect I will need to go through the original configuration setup now pointing to the new sql data base? Is this correct? If so--is there a relatively easy way to do this?

I'm a bit leary about wiping out a current working version having remembered how long it to me to get it working the first time.

So I wanted to update some of the beer categories--I managed to edit the sql database using phpmyadmin, but how do I get raspberry pints to recognize these changes.
I suspect I will need to go through the original configuration setup now pointing to the new sql data base? Is this correct? If so--is there a relatively easy way to do this?

I'm a bit leary about wiping out a current working version having remembered how long it to me to get it working the first time.

Not sure what you've done/are doing here - did you create a new database from the original?
I'd be leery as well - if I didn't have a working clone for every RPi in the house. I highly recommend it - it enables brave/stupid acts ;)

Cheers!

This is all I did.

def MOTION(PIR_PIN):
os.system('sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start')
os.system(cmd)
time.sleep(60)
os.system('sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop')

Please let me know if I did anything stupid.

lol - no, that's actually quite clever!
I hadn't even considered starting and stopping the flowmon service via my PIR widget.
I like it!

Cheers! :mug:

Not sure what you've done/are doing here - did you create a new database from the original?
I'd be leery as well - if I didn't have a working clone for every RPi in the house. I highly recommend it - it enables brave/stupid acts ;)

Cheers!

Getting a working clone is the easy part. I have that.

What I'm struggling with or need answers to is the following-
I used phpmyadmin to edit (add) a new beer style to the current data base on my working raspberry pints setup.
(I went to localhost/phpmyadmin, logged in, navigated to raspberry pints --> beer styles in the menu on the left, and added a new row)
I expected that when I restarted my rpi that this new beer style would then be available for me to choose when I add or edit a beer within raspberry pints. Its not. I'm not sure what the next step is to make this change available.

Getting a working clone is the easy part. I have that.

What I'm struggling with or need answers to is the following-
I used phpmyadmin to edit (add) a new beer style to the current data base on my working raspberry pints setup.
(I went to localhost/phpmyadmin, logged in, navigated to raspberry pints --> beer styles in the menu on the left, and added a new row)
I expected that when I restarted my rpi that this new beer style would then be available for me to choose when I add or edit a beer within raspberry pints. Its not. I'm not sure what the next step is to make this change available.

I just managed to partly answer my own question. I notice that if I modify one of the existing 106 entries (beer styles) I can see that within raspberry pints. But if I add an additional row, that 107th entry doesn't show up. So I suspect somewhere buried within raspberry pints is something that says grab 106 entries out of this database?

Back