[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reference my write-up regarding using an UNO.

To be honest, I do not know for absolutely certain that anyone has gotten RaspberryPints running on a Pi3B with an Alamode.
[Cue the hoard: Anyone get that working?]
Going the UNO route should be way simpler...

Cheers!

Thats kinda reassuring... i wont stop until i get it to work. I just ordered a UNO but untl them i will still tinker.
I did just reinstall the jessie-setup and re compile and upload and got a different out put:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
any ideas?

I need to review my notes. I may have accidentally truncated that command in my instructions.
I believe that the correct command is: "sudo usermod -aG www-data admin-user"
Hi Guys,

wondering if you can help me out. I've tried to piece together all the steps and have gotten as far as running the Localhost/install in chromium. However as soon as i hit setup i get the following error:
--------
"warning:mysqli_connect(): (28000/1698): Access Denied for user 'root'@'loaclhost' in /var/www/html/install/configprocessor.php on line 52
Success!
Checking config folder permissions... Success!

Cannot connect the database using the supplied information
-------

The only issue i have had during the setup was the command "sudo usermod -aG www-data admin" which returns a user 'admin' does not exist

I am certain i have password correct. is this something that can be fixed or do I have to start again from scratch? im pretty tech savvy but Linux is new to me

TIA

The command was incorrect. We need to apply the changes to the 'pi' user account. The command should be
"sudo usermod -aG www-data pi"

I got a new Rpi in my hands and am running through my entire instruction set to verify all. I'll re-post my original instructions with some minor updates to clarify a some steps.

What's your environment, and are there any non-out-of-the-box package dependencies?
I'm developing on a fedora box with Apache, MariaDB and PHP 7.1 as a jump-start and general dev environment until i can build out a setup using a Pi. All of the non-out of box dependencies should be handled by the composer update setup.
Code:
php composer.phar update
If not I'll update the composer.json and/or readme for anything you find.

Two questions. What version of Raspbian are you running? Would the git clone command be:

Code:
 git clone https://github.com/zaepho/RaspberryPints.git /var/www/html
Yes this commad should clone the master branch of my repo (which is where the current development version is.

Last edited:
Since I had difficulty getting my RPints build correctly on the newer Raspbian OS, I took detailed notes on the commands and modifications needed to get RPints running on a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B using the Jessie version of Raspbian OS.

I found most all of the alternate instructions on this forum. They do differ from the original instructions found on http://raspberrypints.com/byo/.

I hope these attached instructions will help someone avoid some of the headaches I had. (Sorry but the site will not allow me to upload a .docx, .doc, or .rtf file to the site. PDF was my best option.)

I've found that the site will accept .zip. I have zipped a Word Document for reference.

I ran through my instruction set on a new Rpi system and found a mistake and some confusing instruction.
Attached are my version 2 instructions with corrected commands and clarifications made. These instructions should be used instead of what is posted by me originally on Dec 3, 2017.

Attachments

• RPints-Jessie-FlowMeters-Installation-Instructions-v2.pdf
    474.7 KB · Views: 95
  • RPints-Jessie-FlowMeters-Installation-Instructions-v2.zip
    3 MB · Views: 157
I'm definitely testing the worst case scenario for a new Stretch install. I've got Fermentrack installed, which uses NGINX and requires that you make changes to the defaults for RaspberryPints to get both programs to coexist. I've gotten to the point of pulling up the RaspberryPints webpage to start the installation process. I get this page:

Welcome to Raspberry Pints!
We noticed that you already have installed RPints. Please select an option from the menu below

There is nothing else on the page. No options to select or anything. Any ideas how to get past this point so I can continue testing on Stretch?

Edit: by the way, I don't already have an installed version of RPints on this card.

Last edited:
I'm definitely testing the worst case scenario for a new Stretch install.

Welcome to Raspberry Pints!
We noticed that you already have installed RPints. Please select an option from the menu below

There is nothing else on the page. No options to select or anything. Any ideas how to get past this point so I can continue testing on Stretch?

Edit: by the way, I don't already have an installed version of RPints on this card.

Which release of the code or which repo are you working from?

If you're working from my repo (https://github.com/zaepho/RaspberryPints/) the installer isn't working yet (it's on the list!). You'll need to create a dbconfig.php file in the includes directory. With the following updated with appropriate values.
Code:
<?php
global $dbconfig;
$dbconfig['dbhost'] = 'localhost';
$dbconfig['dbprefix'] = '';
$dbconfig['dbuser'] = 'Username';
$dbconfig['dbpass'] = 'Password';
?>

Just curious as I've been on hiatus from this thread for a bit.....currently running Pints with flowmeters using the older wheezy build. Are there any updated Pints versions and where do I find them? My current version (2.0.1) is running fine but I'd be interested in upgrading if they're out there

Just curious as I've been on hiatus from this thread for a bit.....currently running Pints with flowmeters using the older wheezy build. Are there any updated Pints versions and where do I find them? My current version (2.0.1) is running fine but I'd be interested in upgrading if they're out there

The project has been on hiatus for quite some time, so no updates that you need to install. If your system is working, have a good backup and you're good to go. That being said, @kcolby is working on modernizing the files to work with the latest versions of Raspbian and the associated packages and adding a few features. Stay tuned.

Which release of the code or which repo are you working from?

If you're working from my repo (https://github.com/zaepho/RaspberryPints/) the installer isn't working yet (it's on the list!). You'll need to create a dbconfig.php file in the includes directory. With the following updated with appropriate values.
Code:
<?php
global $dbconfig;
$dbconfig['dbhost'] = 'localhost';
$dbconfig['dbprefix'] = '';
$dbconfig['dbuser'] = 'Username';
$dbconfig['dbpass'] = 'Password';
?>

I wiped my SD card and tried without the Fermentrack running. Still can't get it working. Now just get a "this page isn't working" notice and nothing else when I try to display the taplist. I have created the dbconfig.php file in var/www/html/includes and still nothing.

Did you walk through the other couple steps in the Readme? It's a pretty bare bones set of install instructions but the gist is:
  • install composer
  • run composer update command from RaspberryPints directory to install dependencies
  • import SQL Schema
  • create dbconfig.conf
Unless I'm missing a step (very possible) that should be enough to get you started.

Edit:
On a separate development note. I worked on converting the front-end to a smarty template. I had to do a LOT of surgery on the model manager classes to add some of the computed properties that were needed for the front end. My goal is to just pass the relevant objects to the template and let the template decide what pieces and parts it needs instead of cooking up inflexible sql queries. The long term benefit here is separation of Data Storage, Business Logic (i.e. the bulk of the code) and UI.

The only real issue my skinned front-end currently has is that it renders the font sizes different for whatever reason.

Last edited:
image1.jpeg
Hi everybody, Thank you Day_tripper and Cadibrewer for helping me out with my questions!

I got the UNO and the flow meters up and running on PI 3. I've only been able to blow air through them so far. I just hooked up all 5 flow meter to 8-12 and im using 1- GRND to 5 wires and 1- 5V to 5 wires. Is that typical to do or is that too much for the UNO/PI?

Last edited:
Hi can anyone out there help me our with the pours calculations. Im using the swissflow meters and it seems like my pour volume is high. like 4 oz reports 22 oz. Is there a change in the pour cod i need to look at?

View attachment 560046 Hi everybody, Thank you Day_tripper and Cadibrewer for helping me out with my questions!

I got the UNO and the flow meters up and running on PI 3. I've only been able to blow air through them so far. I just hooked up all 5 flow meter to 8-12 and im using 1- GRND to 5 wires and 1- 5V to 5 wires. Is that typical to do or is that too much for the UNO/PI?
Nope, that's perfectly fine. That's exactly how most of us have our systems set up.

Hi can anyone out there help me our with the pours calculations. Im using the swissflow meters and it seems like my pour volume is high. like 4 oz reports 22 oz. Is there a change in the pour cod i need to look at?
The files are all set up for the Swissflow meters, so you shouldn't have had to change anything to have measure correctly. Make sure the pulse_count in pours.php is set to 21120. That's been a highly accurate number for those meters.

The files are all set up for the Swissflow meters, so you shouldn't have had to change anything to have measure correctly. Make sure the pulse_count in pours.php is set to 21120. That's been a highly accurate number for those meters.
To continue on this thread, trying pushing a larger known volume through the meter and then take a look at the pours table in the DB. This will show pours as fractions of a gallon and the number of pulses reported by the python code. A little math and you'll be able to adjust the value in the python code as necessary.

As a side note: I am planning (eventually) to add a PulsesPerOz field to each tap so that this can be adjusted on a tap by tap basis (hopefully with a cool button to recalculate past pours based on the new calibrated value. This will help out greatly in cases where multiple types of meters are in use or the meters vary in measurement for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Thank you CADIBREWER.
Yes that's the amount that Pulse_count is set at. Possibly I have an over carbonated/pressure set to high on my CO2, I can try adjusting accordingly. I make cider and like it over carbonated, if this is something I can adjust in the Pulse_count on the Pours.php if I notice that its 5x to high could I adjust the count to 106100?

Thank you CADIBREWER.
Yes that's the amount that Pulse_count is set at. Possibly I have an over carbonated/pressure set to high on my CO2, I can try adjusting accordingly. I make cider and like it over carbonated, if this is something I can adjust in the Pulse_count on the Pours.php if I notice that its 5x to high could I adjust the count to 106100?
Absolutely, you will want to complete a good sized, measured pour and then look at the number of pulses that was recorded and do the math to figure out Pulses Per Gallon and input that number into the python script (replacing the 21120 number).

Thank you CADIBREWER.
All I can say is that for those of us who were early adopters of the flow meters, there were a few very late nights of multiple pours while we dialed things in. Pour, watch the pulse count, watch the website update, drink, repeat. Very sloppy...

All I can say is that for those of us who were early adopters of the flow meters, there were a few very late nights of multiple pours while we dialed things in. Pour, watch the pulse count, watch the website update, drink, repeat. Very sloppy...
What could the system do to make that an easier process? Give you a list of pours for a particular PinID and let you enter a number and have it recalculate volumes to check calibration? A pre-set list of known meters with known "generally accurate" pulse per oz/gal numbers to get you started? something entirely different?

Hi Guys,

I am trying to install the database. I am on the page to setup steps 1,2 and 3. I entered all the info and hit setup. this is what I get. This is on a rpi 3 without flow meters

Validating Entries...Success!
Checking DB connectivity...
Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1698): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' in /var/www/html/RaspberryPints-Version2/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 52
Success!
Checking config folder permissions...Success!

Cannot connect the the database using the supplied information.

Please press the back button on your browser to fix these errors

Thanks Marcus

I think that having a way to adjust from the software instead of having to go into the pours.php would be great, as would having the standard pulse counts available for the known meters.

But I haven't heard of calibration being an issue for many, once the Adafruit meters were calibrated. More of the issue has been related to foaming and figuring out where in the dispensing lines the meters are best placed.

I've not heard of someone having the problem that Michael Williams is having where one beer at a different pressure/carbonation level requires a different pulse count. I've had very low carbonated English bitters and highly carbonated stouts on nitro and the meters don't seem to care.

Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1698): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' in /var/www/html/RaspberryPints-Version2/install/includes/configprocessor.php on line 52
This is saying it wasn't able to connect to the database with the information you provided for the root user. Make sure you're feeding it the password you setup for root when you installed mysql.

I think that having a way to adjust from the software instead of having to go into the pours.php would be great, as would having the standard pulse counts available for the known meters.

But I haven't heard of calibration being an issue for many, once the Adafruit meters were calibrated. More of the issue has been related to foaming and figuring out where in the dispensing lines the meters are best placed.

I've not heard of someone having the problem that Michael Williams is having where one beer at a different pressure/carbonation level requires a different pulse count. I've had very low carbonated English bitters and highly carbonated stouts on nitro and the meters don't seem to care.

Good to know! I definitely think the "right" way is for pours.php to take in the PulseCount and handle that on a per tap basis. Especially to handle swapping out a meter or just picking up a mixed group of meters for cost/availability reasons. Being able to calibrate each tap is just a bonus feature really.

I definitely like providing the known meter calibration numbers as a jumping off point. When I get to that point I'll have to collect known meters and their Pulses/Oz numbers to populate the system with.

All my taps seem to be reading high flow rates (20oz+ pours) when I pour like 4 oz in the glass. maybe things just need to settle down in my keezer before I go judging it.

fwiw, I've been using the "stock" settings in both the avr firmware and pours.php since the day 2.0.1 was released and all six of my SF800 meters have been amazingly accurate wrt predicting keg kicks, especially since I started weighing the kegs after filling and using that when tapping a freshie.

That said, a "calibration" function that would allow the user to set up a new meter would make things easy for folks who aren't going to be comfortable editing code. Prompt for a pour size, do the pour, count the ticks, calculate the per ounce divisor for that faucet and set it...

Cheers!

Reference my write-up regarding using an UNO.

To be honest, I do not know for absolutely certain that anyone has gotten RaspberryPints running on a Pi3B with an Alamode.
[Cue the hoard: Anyone get that working?]
Going the UNO route should be way simpler...

Cheers!

The horde says, yes, I have. Some of the steps for updating the alamode should be followed from the Pints website - this was just to get it to run after the release of stretch. If you apt-get UPGRADE, you're done. It won't work.

Here are the steps I used from a fresh Jesse boot:

1.Install Tilt image:
sudo apt-get update
2. Install Pixel:
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xinit
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends raspberrypi-ui-mods lxterminal gvfs

3. Install LAMP stack:
sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql phpmyadmin

REBOOT

sudo apt-get -y install chromium-browser

4. Install Flow meter modules:

sudo apt-get install arduino python-serial python-mysqldb php5-cli xdotool

5. Screen management modules:
sudo apt-get -y install ttf-mscorefonts-installer x11-xserver-utils unclutter

6. Sudo nano /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
Add:
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium-browser --incognito --start-fullscreen localhost

7. Flow Meter Installation:
wget https://github.com/wyolum/alamode/raw/master/bundles/alamode-setup.tar.gz

tar -xvzf alamode-setup.tar.gz
cd alamode-setup
sudo apt-get install dos2unix
Sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Change enable_uart=0 Should be 1?!?

sudo dos2unix jessie-setup
sudo ./jessie-setup

8. Download Pints:
https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints/archive/2.0.1.zip

Sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/000 file
Change documentroot to /var/www

Unzip RaspberryPints-2.0.1.zip
Sudo mv RaspberryPints-2.0.1 /var/www
Sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www
Rm -R RaspberryPints-2.0.1

Edit /etc/apache2/sites-available
and change DocumentRoot setting from /var/www/html to /var/www.

Navigate to localhost and setup Pints

9. Configure Pi for flow meters:
Copy the flowmon file from the python (/var/www/python) directory to /etc/init.d
sudo cp flowmon /etc/init.d

Test:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py

Add:
sudo update-rc.d flowmon defaults

And if you're using the Adafruit sensors with the inlet drilled out:

10. Adjust pours:
Sudo nano /var/www/html/arduino/raspberrypints/raspberrypints.ino

Find this line:
if ( pulseCount > 100 ) {

and change it to:
if ( pulseCount > 35 ) {

Sudo nano /var/www/html/includes/pours.php
Adjust pulse_count to 5250

Can someone direct me to the alamode setup (step 6 w/ flow meters)in this thread? I'm having trouble installing the alamode setup.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Not exactly a flow meter question, but maybe. My meters are reading pours when I’m gone. There seem to be no leaks and I just replaced most of my tubing to the taps. And o rings on the outputs on the kegs. And no one is pouring 220 oz. it seems to MT my kegs eventually only 2-3 taps have had this issue. Most likely it’s the equipment just checking to see what you all think.

Ghost pours are due to CO2 bubbles traversing the meters, so if you have carbonated a keg to a level that is higher than your dispensing system actually supports, that beer will emit CO2 until it reaches equilibrium. Very important to have consistency in carbonation and dispensing.

To that same end, wide temperature swings will cause beer to emit/absorb CO2 on a cycle that tracks the temperature, and that includes the beer lines. My keezer controller allows a 1°F +/- delta from Set Point to try to keep the beer temperature flat, and I have a 120mm PC fan running full time keeping the air inside the keezer stirred up to minimum temperature differential anywhere inside.

All that adds up to an environment that minimizes CO2 bubbles traveling through the meters...

Cheers!

I am trying to install the database. I am on the page to setup steps 1,2 and 3. I entered all the info and hit setup. this is what I get. This is on a rpi 3 without flow meters

Validating Entries...Success!
Success!
Checking config folder permissions...Success!

Cannot connect the the database using the supplied information.

Please press the back button on your browser to fix these errors

I am still getting the above message after starting over a couple of times from flashing the sd card with raspbian stretch.
I am using the password from installing "phpmyadmin". Any suggestions?
Is it possible to get a image I can flash to my sd card that is already setup?

Marcus

I do not believe there is a fully working solution for Raspbian Stretch.
You should be using Raspbian Jessie as has been detailed a few times...

Cheers!

I've stumbled across a few RPints GUI mod's in the past as i was researching other issues. Does anyone have any cool mod's that they'd like to share and how to's
Thx
:tank:

Thanks for help. I thought I was using Jessie the first 2 times trying the setup. Then tried Raspbian Stretch which didn't work. I did find the archive version of Jessie and now have Rpints up and running. Thanks for everyone's help.

Marcus

I do not believe there is a fully working solution for Raspbian Stretch.
!

The dream isn't dead yet! Working on the Installer (which is no fun combined with work stuff is the cause of the slowdown in progress). Initial Skinning of the front end works, I need to build out the configuration piece for this and make sure that works. Once the installer works well, it may be worth packaging everything up for a release.

Documentation? HA! I'll be going for regular points no bonus. I do want to have a really basic (no meters) install guide but probably only from the perspective of the app itself. Without hardware to test on yet putting together a really solid guide would be difficult.

So I know this probably has not been discussed in a while but I have been having issues getting into my myphpadmin to backup all my beers and info on rPints. Can anyone shoot me to a link or provide some directions for where to start doing this. Thanks

Back