[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and welcome!

The issue is the latest version of NOOBS is not compatible with RPints at the moment (but we are working on addressing that). In the meantime if you use the download link a couple of posts higher up on this page, then follow the updated instructions (you will find a link to the in the second post at the very beginning of this enormous thread), you should be able to get up and running.

Any other issues, reach out.

Cheers,

Kal
Awesome! Thank you!

Thoughts on installation on Raspbian Stretch

So the main source of issue is that Raspbian Stretch makes use of php7, while the RPINTS software was designed in php5.
Unless someone performs a deep dive into the RPINTS source code to update for usage within php7, we simply need to bypass using php7.

It should be possible to complete the RPINTS installation on Stretch if you modify the Source List for Apt-Get so that you do not use the most current version of phpMyAdmin, which is the point where the php7 utilities get installed and mucks up RPINTS.

One should be able to follow my install instructions in this thread with minor changes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...-taplist-solution.487694/page-79#post-8184819

Changes to the instructions:
1) Use the current version of Raspbian OS. Do not download the Jessie version.
2) Directly BEFORE the installation of phpMyAdmin, insert the following instructions:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

add these 2 lines to the end of the file:
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi
deb http://archive.raspian.org/raspbian/ jessie main contrib non-free rpi

Comment out this line in the file: (Add a hash-tag (#) to the beginning of the line to comment out)
deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ stretch main contrib non-free rpi

Save and exit editing sources.list
Essentially, we have now directed Raspian to only look at the Raspbian Jessie source for new package installations. Apt-Get will no longer query the Stretch source files and thus will no longer update phpMyAdmin or any PHP utilities to PHP7.​

Then you can proceed with the phpmyadmin installation:
sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
It would be important to never revert the SOURCE.LIST to the original and then perform an update/upgrade of the Raspberry Pi.

Atariplayr, Kal,
Can I get a bit of clarification. The instructions Atariplayr made and that people are being referred to tells us how to do the install using Jessie, but in the same post, Atariplayr modifies the instructions to use the current NOOB download with Stretch and modify the file. Is that to prevent the mysql.client install error? Also where is the best site to get the current NOOBS with stretch?

Thanks,
GMan-62

Atariplayr, Kal,
Can I get a bit of clarification. The instructions Atariplayr made and that people are being referred to tells us how to do the install using Jessie, but in the same post, Atariplayr modifies the instructions to use the current NOOB download with Stretch and modify the file. Is that to prevent the mysql.client install error? Also where is the best site to get the current NOOBS with stretch?

Thanks,
GMan-62

@GMAN-62 for now you can disregard steps posted by @atariplayr, (as Stretch is still a "work in progress"), and instead stick with the Jessie NOOBS download and follow these steps:
before you can do the
sudo apt-get update
you first need to
sudo nano /etc/hosts
go to the bottom and enter
93.93.128.193 mirrordirector.rasbian.org
93.93.128.191 archive.raspian.org
Note that it is "sudo nano /etc/hosts" as flagged yesterday by @day_trippr

Cheers,

Kal

@GMAN-62 for now you can disregard steps posted by @atariplayr, (as Stretch is still a "work in progress"), and instead stick with the Jessie NOOBS download and follow these steps:

Note that it is "sudo nano /etc/hosts" as flagged yesterday by @day_trippr

Cheers,

Kal
Kal,
I’ll give that a shot. Do you know if anybody has taken on the task to figure out stretch and php7?

Kal,
I’ll give that a shot. Do you know if anybody has taken on the task to figure out stretch and php7?
Yep, a few of us have myself included, if you aren't using an alamode (either not using flowmeters at all, or using an Ardiuno rather than an alamode) you could switch to Stretch now, but you'll find it difficult to get much support here if you do as you'll be blazing your own trail ahead of crowd.

I’m using an alamode, but this stuff is way above my skill set. I’m learning as I go, but if it wasn’t for you and day_trippr, I’d still be at square 1 with a whole bunch of parts and no clue how to make it all work.
Are you going to provide updated instructions and files once you get it all up and running?

Thanks and good luck.

I’m using an alamode, but this stuff is way above my skill set. I’m learning as I go, but if it wasn’t for you and day_trippr, I’d still be at square 1 with a whole bunch of parts and no clue how to make it all work.
Are you going to provide updated instructions and files once you get it all up and running?

Thanks and good luck.
Absolutely, in fact I posted my "what I've got so far" instructions a few pages back, my suspicion is it's a power management issue, but haven't circled back to it, it's on my to-do list :bott:

I just installed RaspberryPints to run on my desktop (http://bernerbits.github.io/ras-pints-without-pi/) and added the first beer to the taplist. This is what I get when accessing localhost/RaspberryPints:

rbpints.png

Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 22

Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 28

Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\admin\includes\managers\tap_manager.php on line 68

Notice: Undefined index: useHighResolution in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 63

Notice: Undefined index: useHighResolution in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 75

Notice: Undefined index: useHighResolution in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 85

No
tice: Undefined index: showTapNumCol in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 97

Notice: Undefined index: showSrmCol in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 103

Notice: Undefined index: showIbuCol in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 109

Notice: Undefined index: showAbvCol in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 119

Notice: Undefined index: showKegCol in C:\xampp\htdocs\RaspberryPints\index.php on line 125
BEER NAME & STYLE
TASTING NOTES
What is wrong and how can I fix it?

EDIT: Edited config.php -file in /RaspberryPints/includes/. By default there was
$link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'beers', '');
that didn't work, replacing beers with MySQL username and adding MySQL password did the trick.

Last edited:
I've installed the older version of noobs. And everything moved along nicely. Unfortunately now I am trying to unzip the raspberry pint download from github as per the instructions but, my raspberry pi cannot find my zip files. I even moved the zip file to home/pi and raspberry pi still cannot find the zip file.

**Update** problem resolved

Last edited:
I entered the following code: "sudo mv raspberrypints-2.0.1/*/var/www/ and this was the error message i received: "mv: missing destination file operand after 'raspberrypints-2.0.1/*/var/www/"
I haven't been able to figure out how to rectify this.

I entered the following code: "sudo mv raspberrypints-2.0.1/*/var/www/ and this was the error message i received: "mv: missing destination file operand after 'raspberrypints-2.0.1/*/var/www/"
I haven't been able to figure out how to rectify this.
Did you follow @day_trippr updated instructions (link to them in the second post at the start of this thread)? The default location has changed in Jessie to /var/www/html so you'll need to allow for that in your steps.

I did not. I have been following the updated instructions but I am fairly inept at technical stuff in general, so i apologize for the confusion and questions.

I did not. I have been following the updated instructions but I am fairly inept at technical stuff in general, so i apologize for the confusion and questions.
No apologies required, this thread is here to help get you up and running.

So are you using /var/www or /var/www/html as your installation directory?

/var/www/ is the /*/ not necessary?
Actually I've just spotted the issue, the correct command is:
Code:
sudo mv RaspberryPints-2.0.1/* /var/www/
Linux is case sensitive and there should be a space between "/*" and "/var" so "sudo mv raspberryPints-2.0.1/*/var/www/" won't work.

Let me know if that fixes it?

Cheers,

Kal

I followed all the steps to install alamode and Jessie on my pi. When I type in the command "sudo jessie-setup" (as it is written out on the forum) I receive a response stating "command not found".

Last edited:
I'm receiving an error message now saying "cannot create regular file 'usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools : no such file or directory" and "cannot access '/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude'
Is this what is suppose to happen?

I recall some of the adafruit users had success drilling out the inlet to match the size of the outlet, @jbadd99, @wbarber69?

Sorry, for the late response, I've been busy. My pints project has been on hold as well, so I cannot comment on the flow meter modification yet. Maybe I'll get around to wiring the keezer in the next month.

Hello,

I just finished building a keezer with my brother and today I am working on getting rasberrypints setup. First, thanks to all the contributors here that have kept this project alive. I’ve read through this thread and its great. I’m going to use a Pi3 with Jesse, along with an Uno and Adafruit flow meters. I’m no stranger to Linux but new to Rasberry Pi.

Question as I get rolling, what’s the best way to connect 3/16 tubing to the Adafruit flow meters? Looks like I may be missing some sort of threaded adapter.

Here is a pic of the Keezer we built …fun project as neither of us had experience with wood working:

V1ICbNB.jpg

I've just finished soldering (first timer) my ala mode and, once connected, i'm not able to power the Pi from the ala mode. I know I have the 5v link jumper to 'On'... could I have fried my ala mode board doing hack job on the soldering?

Pi and Rpints setup went well and everything seems to be running great. Anyone have advice on the best way to wire the 3 flow sensors to the uno? Do I need a bead board or just create a 3 to 1 wire for power? Will USB from the Pi to the Uno be good to power the sensors?

I've just finished soldering (first timer) my ala mode and, once connected, i'm not able to power the Pi from the ala mode. I know I have the 5v link jumper to 'On'... could I have fried my ala mode board doing hack job on the soldering?
I'd say recheck all your solder points on the alamode, there's a really good post early on in this thread (first couple of pages in from memory) by @day_trippr on soldering up your alamode.

Cheers,

Kal

The other thing I would check is that you have the Alamode mated to the correct pins. Later versions of the Pi have more GPIO pins than the Alamode.

Is there a program I can buy that is like this that is plug and play? Or does anyone offer that on here? I've looked over a lot of info here and don't know where to begin lol I'm not computer savvy at all. The original thread a lot of the supplies are no longer available is there a thread somewhere buried in here that I should start with? Thanks

I've gone through all the steps leading up to 7. When I enter my IP address into the search bar I do not see any log in options as it explains in the instructions.

[...]
Question as I get rolling, what’s the best way to connect 3/16 tubing to the Adafruit flow meters? Looks like I may be missing some sort of threaded adapter.

That's one handsome keezer. Kudos! :mug:

I would look into John Guest "push to connect" fittings to see if they have a model that'll thread onto your meters and accept your beer line OD.

Cheers!

I'm receiving an error message now saying "cannot create regular file 'usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools : no such file or directory" and "cannot access '/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude'
Is this what is suppose to happen?

Well, no. I'm assuming you got this when running the jessie-setup file from the Alamode setup kit. Should not get any messages like that one if the entire script runs clean.

Did you get by this successfully?

I've gone through all the steps leading up to 7. When I enter my IP address into the search bar I do not see any log in options as it explains in the instructions.

Did you install the RaspberryPints web stuff in /var/www or /var/www/html?
The version of Apache2 that comes with Jessie changed its default DocumentRoot from /var/www to /var/www/html. Any unqualified inbound html request will try to resolve to the DocumentRoot - so if you installed the kit to /var/www and didn't change DocumentRoot to point there, Apache2 won't find it...

Cheers!

Is there a program I can buy that is like this that is plug and play? Or does anyone offer that on here? I've looked over a lot of info here and don't know where to begin lol I'm not computer savvy at all. The original thread a lot of the supplies are no longer available is there a thread somewhere buried in here that I should start with? Thanks

I just took a fresh look around and was unable to find any functional equivalent to RaspberryPints. Even KegBot has gone silent.

fwiw, everything needed is still available, though perhaps not identical models/versions. The original kit was developed back when the Raspberry Pi B was current, and as time marched on folks have transitioned to RPi B+, then RPi2B, then RPi3B (and perhaps Pi Zero or Zero W as well though I can't personally vouch for those).

The Alamode is still available, but frankly unless one has a need to go "vertical", a $5 Uno R3 is a much better bargain and avoids potential pitfalls if using an RPi3B. That option is documented in my update roll-up here.

Even the SwissFlow meters are still available if one can handle the weight :eek: but some folks have gone with much cheaper alternative meters.

The biggest issues have been coping with major OS and LAMP package updates, but aside from a fully functional Raspbian Stretch implementation we're still hanging in there. Stick with Raspbian Jessie for now.

There is no doubt that a modicum of familiarity with Unix and general hardware is required to successfully cobble together a RaspberryPints system. I apologize for that - I'd love to come up with a way to make the whole thing so utterly turnkey that if one could screw together an Ikea coffee table they could build an R'Pints system :) Even sending out preloaded SD cards presumes a lot of the user, and I'm not sure that'd be that much of a head start...

Cheers!

IMG_6585.JPG
Thank you! I ended up going with taplist.io Whig is super easy to use just not as fancy or cool as raspberry pi. but they are adding updates constantly I believe they are the same guys as kegbot. It was free cause I had an extra monitor and fire stick here is a list I created in about 10 mins just playing around with it

I just took a fresh look around and was unable to find any functional equivalent to RaspberryPints. Even KegBot has gone silent.

fwiw, everything needed is still available, though perhaps not identical models/versions. The original kit was developed back when the Raspberry Pi B was current, and as time marched on folks have transitioned to RPi B+, then RPi2B, then RPi3B (and perhaps Pi Zero or Zero W as well though I can't personally vouch for those).

The Alamode is still available, but frankly unless one has a need to go "vertical", a $5 Uno R3 is a much better bargain and avoids potential pitfalls if using an RPi3B. That option is documented in my update roll-up here.

Even the SwissFlow meters are still available if one can handle the weight :eek: but some folks have gone with much cheaper alternative meters.

The biggest issues have been coping with major OS and LAMP package updates, but aside from a fully functional Raspbian Stretch implementation we're still hanging in there. Stick with Raspbian Jessie for now.

There is no doubt that a modicum of familiarity with Unix and general hardware is required to successfully cobble together a RaspberryPints system. I apologize for that - I'd love to come up with a way to make the whole thing so utterly turnkey that if one could screw together an Ikea coffee table they could build an R'Pints system :) Even sending out preloaded SD cards presumes a lot of the user, and I'm not sure that'd be that much of a head start...

Cheers!

Well, no. I'm assuming you got this when running the jessie-setup file from the Alamode setup kit. Should not get any messages like that one if the entire script runs clean.

Did you get by this successfully?

Did you install the RaspberryPints web stuff in /var/www or /var/www/html?
The version of Apache2 that comes with Jessie changed its default DocumentRoot from /var/www to /var/www/html. Any unqualified inbound html request will try to resolve to the DocumentRoot - so if you installed the kit to /var/www and didn't change DocumentRoot to point there, Apache2 won't find it...

Cheers!
So this is where I am getting confused with it, it seems. I started completely over to make sure I didn't miss any steps. Where does the apache download need to be changed, back in step 4? I'm pretty much flying by the seam of my pants with this, haha.

Last edited:
Thanks day_tripper.

I found and ordered these, which look like they should work for connecting the adafruit flow meters to the beer lines:

Edit: Link removed ...these arrived and didn't fit the flow meters :(

I’m still not exactly sure about wiring up the flow meters to the Uno. I ordered these jumper wires and my plan, unless I get advice otherwise, is going to be to try to create a 3 to 1 wire to connect the three flow meter power cables to the one 5v connection on the Uno.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EV70C78/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The prewired part of the flow meter is a short cable and these cables that I ordered are also short, so it seems like the Uno will have to be inside the Keezer. Is that where others have it? Will it be OK in the cold environment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for both with and without flow meters? I am setting up without flow meters.
If you follow the without flow meters instructions, it looks like you just need to adjust Step 6 to use the new path /var/www/html/ in place of /var/www/

Also, you can confirm that you are using the correct ip address by running an ifconfig command on the Pi

If you follow the without flow meters instructions, it looks like you just need to adjust Step 6 to use the new path /var/www/html/ in place of /var/www/

Also, you can confirm that you are using the correct ip address by running an ifconfig command on the Pi
I'm going to try again tonight The raspberry pi NOOBS 2.4.2 is the correct software that is compatible with pints, not 2.4.5 correct?

Back