[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you follow the without flow meters instructions, it looks like you just need to adjust Step 6 to use the new path /var/www/html/ in place of /var/www/

Also, you can confirm that you are using the correct ip address by running an ifconfig command on the Pi
I should ask this as well. Is it absolutely necessary to set up a brand new IP address, as instructed in step 3, when the pi has an assigned IP address already?
I'm going to try again tonight The raspberry pi NOOBS 2.4.2 is the correct software that is compatible with pints, not 2.4.5 correct?

2.4.2 is correct. You don't need to assign a static IP ...I am using a dynamic IP assigned by DHCP. However, be mindful if you are accessing the PI from other computers and the dynamic IP gets reassigned, you'll have to determine and use the new IP.

So I should look up the IP for raspberrypi via raspberrypi, and is that the new IP address you are referring to?

I’m curious how you guys are determining your starting volumes. I for instance just had a beer that had a little more loss than expected so I just eyeballed it at 4.3 gallons. Keg just kicked today after showing minus 50 fluid ounces. So not bad but since I paid for accurate Swiss flow sensors I might as well get a more accurate idea of how many pints I actually have left to help time my brews a little better. I’m thinking perhaps weigh my kegs with and without beer. What does beer weigh on average and is anyone doing this or something else with better results?

I’m curious how you guys are determining your starting volumes. I for instance just had a beer that had a little more loss than expected so I just eyeballed it at 4.3 gallons. Keg just kicked today after showing minus 50 fluid ounces. So not bad but since I paid for accurate Swiss flow sensors I might as well get a more accurate idea of how many pints I actually have left to help time my brews a little better. I’m thinking perhaps weigh my kegs with and without beer. What does beer weigh on average and is anyone doing this or something else with better results?
Actually, I've tilted at that windmill too, here's a thread I started on it, with a link to the latest version of the calculator: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/633022/

I'd ultimately like to incorporate it into the tap form, but real life keeps getting in the way...

I had been using measured net weight but enhanced that with @kaljade's spreadsheet when he made it available.
Makes everything scary accurate :)

Cheers!

I’m giving it a whirl now. I just kegged up a beer used my bathroom scale that does down to a tenth of a pound so hopefully that’s accurate enough. I seem to have gotten a sensible number when I put in the info so we are going to try that out. And thanks for the hard work guys. If it doesn’t work I’m sure it’s got to be the equipment I’m using to measure cause it seems science wise you guys have everything covered.

**Update** Made it through step 5 last night. Rebooted and had an Apache2 page pop up. This did not happen the last time. I'm assuming I missed something along the installation process. I'm hoping to get through step 6 tonight. This thread has been a huge help! Thank you again!

@kaljade will you please share how you display "Standard drinks"?

Also, I was thinking of trying to display the date and time of the last pour. Has anyone done that before?

@kaljade will you please share how you display "Standard drinks"?

Also, I was thinking of trying to display the date and time of the last pour. Has anyone done that before?
Standard drinks measurement varies from country to country (I'm from the land down under, so ours is different to the measurement used in the US). So happy to supply the code, but it may need to be tweaked for locale.

As for date/time you first need to ensure you are capturing that information, as it's not captured by default:

As long as you're in there not breaking stuff, you may want to take a look at the "pours" table. When the Pints software is installed, the table isn't set up to put a date/time stamp on the pour. If you enable that stamp, it makes troubleshooting phantom pours much easier since you can see pours very close together in time or at odd times of the day. If you don't have that set, the time date just shows "null". I also envision the time stamp will come in handy as my boys become teenagers.

Cheers,

Kal

**Update** Made it through step 5 last night. Rebooted and had an Apache2 page pop up. This did not happen the last time. I'm assuming I missed something along the installation process. I'm hoping to get through step 6 tonight. This thread has been a huge help! Thank you again!
Step 6 which you are about to do next:

Code:
sudo rm /var/www/index.html

Keep going, you are on the right track!

Cheers,

Kal

Standard drinks measurement varies from country to country (I'm from the land down under, so ours is different to the measurement used in the US). So happy to supply the code, but it may need to be tweaked for locale.

As for date/time you first need to ensure you are capturing that information, as it's not captured by default:

Cheers,

Kal

Thanks, I am in the US but glad to have a starting point to modify. Teen kids in the house, as in the quote you posted, is also my motivation for the time stamp.

Adapters for the adafruit flow meters arrived today, but unfortunately didn't fit. I edited my previous post to remove the link so no one else repeats my mistake ...back to looking for a solution to connect the hoses to the flow meters.

Thanks, I am in the US but glad to have a starting point to modify. Teen kids in the house, as in the quote you posted, is also my motivation for the time stamp.

Adapters for the adafruit flow meters arrived today, but unfortunately didn't fit. I edited my previous post to remove the link so no one else repeats my mistake ...back to looking for a solution to connect the hoses to the flow meters.
US is the easiest standard drinks measurement of them all so you are in luck! Here's the Aussie version:

PHP:
									<td class="abv">
										<?php
												$abv = ($beer['og'] - $beer['fg']) * 131;
												$drinks = ceil($abv * 2.24865)/10;
											?>
										<h3><?php echo number_format($drinks, 1); ?> Standard Drinks</h3>

You might notice I use the ceil() function, this is to ensure it rounds up to the next significant figure (eg 1.11 standard drinks would be displayed as 1.2 standard drinks).

Just change 2.24865 to 2 for US standard drinks.

The other thing I did was adjust the level display to make it more accurate, otherwise 1.1 standard drinks normally displays as a full glass and an empty glass, because the original code doesn't allow for the base of the glass:

PHP:
										<div class="abv-container">
											<?php
												$numCups = 0;
												$remaining = $drinks * 100;
												do{
														if( $remaining < 100 ){
																$level = $remaining;
														}else{
																$level = 100;
														}
														?><div class="abv-indicator"><div class="abv-full" style="height:<?php echo (($level)*0.9)+10; ?>%"></div></div>

Let me know if you have any questions?

Cheers,

Kal

20180125_192051.jpg

This is what I am seeing when I enter my IP address of my raspberry pi at the beginning of step 7. Not sure where to go from here

Okay then I am not sure where the change/redirect instructions are. I followed the instructions up to where the alamode instructions start.

Okay then I am not sure where the change/redirect instructions are. I followed the instructions up to where the alamode instructions start.

This part:

Step 7 refers to the "default apache page" at /var/www

The current release of Apache2 has the default document root located at /var/www/html, where the RaspberryPints instructions reference /var/www, so you need to adjust accordingly - or change the document root back to /var/www.

If you want to keep the document root at /var/www/html you have to change a pointer in the Python listener.

Edit /var/www/html/python/flow_monitor.py

Find these two lines:

# Edit this line to point to where your rpints install is

poursdir = '/var/www'

Change /var/www to /var/www/html

If you want to change the document root to /var/www, don't change the Python listener pointer, but instead change the Apache2 config file.

Edit /etc/apache2/sites-available

and change DocumentRoot setting from /var/www/html to /var/www.

Could you break this down barney style for me? What are the commands i have to write in the lx for this that does not include flow meters? when i try any command starting with "Edit" i get a response stating "Edit: command not found"

Could you break this down barney style for me? What are the commands i have to write in the lx for this that does not include flow meters? when i try any command starting with "Edit" i get a response stating "Edit: command not found"
Sure, do this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available

Look for DocumentRoot and change /var/www/html to /var/www

Then hit CTRL+x, then y, then enter.

Then reboot and you should be sorted

US is the easiest standard drinks measurement of them all so you are in luck! Here's the Aussie version:

PHP:
                                    <td class="abv">
                                        <?php
                                                $abv = ($beer['og'] - $beer['fg']) * 131;
                                                $drinks = ceil($abv * 2.24865)/10;
                                            ?>
                                        <h3><?php echo number_format($drinks, 1); ?> Standard Drinks</h3>

You might notice I use the ceil() function, this is to ensure it rounds up to the next significant figure (eg 1.11 standard drinks would be displayed as 1.2 standard drinks).

Just change 2.24865 to 2 for US standard drinks.

The other thing I did was adjust the level display to make it more accurate, otherwise 1.1 standard drinks normally displays as a full glass and an empty glass, because the original code doesn't allow for the base of the glass:

PHP:
                                        <div class="abv-container">
                                            <?php
                                                $numCups = 0;
                                                $remaining = $drinks * 100;
                                                do{
                                                        if( $remaining < 100 ){
                                                                $level = $remaining;
                                                        }else{
                                                                $level = 100;
                                                        }
                                                        ?><div class="abv-indicator"><div class="abv-full" style="height:<?php echo (($level)*0.9)+10; ?>%"></div></div>

Let me know if you have any questions?

Cheers,

Kal

Thanks Kal, that worked great.

In case anyone else follows this, the last line of your second set of instructions needs to end with <?php

Thank you! I made the change and also realized I was using the wrong IP address. Once I changed that I was in the log in screen for raspberrypints! I will be diving into this tonight!
You guys have been life savers!

Cheers!

Sorry if this was already asked/answered. I couldn't find it in this thread. Was there ever an updated version of RPints that changed mysql_ to mysqli_? Was there ever a fix for this issue?

@Fred_S was working on that and may have it working sans flow meters. I believe he's made pre-loaded SD cards available but there's no installer kit yet.

Otherwise there are work-arounds for installing Stretch with phpmysql5, and there are solutions using Jessie.
Until someone builds a kit with the full phpmysql7 compatibility that's about it...

Cheers!

1517075498066.jpeg

It's coming along! The raspberrypints Pint glass is in half. Anyway I can correct that?
Thanks again for all the help. Without you guys I probably woukd have given up!

View attachment 555320
It's coming along! The raspberrypints Pint glass is in half. Anyway I can correct that?
Thanks again for all the help. Without you guys I probably woukd have given up!
Looks like you just need to adjust you screen resolution to match your display: http://raspberrypints.com/byo/step-3-operating-system-configuration/

If you are using a different resolution screen to the few examples listed follow the link on that page for the complete list.

Cheers,

Kal

OK, so, without having much/any knowledge of PHP, Linux, web servers, I think I have come a good way. I was able to (I think) successfully convert the mysql_ to mysqli_ commands and get this working with PHP7. Here's what I have so far, and attached are screenshots of my issues. I am hoping someone might be able to help me:

- I created the raspberrypints database in mysql command line (not sure if this should have happened automatically but I was receiving an error)
- I set up the configuration by going to my IP, filling out the passwords etc, and click next. I get the following:
2018-02-01-201623_1824x984_scrot.png

- the undefined variable in config_files.php I think is an issue. Attached is the screen of this file:
2018-02-01-201656_1824x984_scrot.png

- the no such file in directory issue is not an issue I don't think
- when I click on Administration, I can enter my user/pass, but once I click submit, I get a page not found
- also, when I click Tap List, I get the following:
2018-02-01-201726_1824x984_scrot.png

As you can see, that's not very helpful.

Since I am very very green to all of this, I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I feel I am really close, but missing something.

Any help would be huge and greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys,

wondering if you can help me out. I've tried to piece together all the steps and have gotten as far as running the Localhost/install in chromium. However as soon as i hit setup i get the following error:
--------
"warning:mysqli_connect(): (28000/1698): Access Denied for user 'root'@'loaclhost' in /var/www/html/install/configprocessor.php on line 52
Success!
Checking config folder permissions... Success!

Cannot connect the database using the supplied information
-------

The only issue i have had during the setup was the command "sudo usermod -aG www-data admin" which returns a user 'admin' does not exist

I am certain i have password correct. is this something that can be fixed or do I have to start again from scratch? im pretty tech savvy but Linux is new to me

TIA

Where are you getting this command from: "sudo usermod -aG www-data admin"?
For the life of me I can't find any reference to that command wrt R'Pints installation.

Also, for context, which Raspbian release are you trying to use?

Cheers!

Where are you getting this command from: "sudo usermod -aG www-data admin"?
For the life of me I can't find any reference to that command wrt R'Pints installation.

Also, for context, which Raspbian release are you trying to use?

Cheers!

Hi its part of the steps in atariplayr's pdf document just before PHP installation 'sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin' - link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...-taplist-solution.487694/page-79#post-8184819.

I don't think it has anything to do with the installation of R'Pints but its the only trouble i had when following instructions and involves usernames. so long shot though it may be relevant.

I am using what i believe is Jessie - NOOBS-2017-07-05.

I have also done a password reset of Mysql to confirm my password is correct and i am certain i have the correct password

Back