Vent hood needed for basement brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velinos

Reaction score
I am in the process of designing my brewing set up for my basement and had a question about ventilation. I have read several threads about vent hoods and exhaust fans and I was wondering how necessary the vent hood is. Would having an exhaust fan with a vent in the ceiling over my boil kettle, similar to those found in bathrooms, have the same effect?

Unless you are in a dry room with lots of external ventilation, its necessary. Assuming you are doing a 5 gal batch, you will dump about 1.5 gallons of water into the local atmosphere. That will lead to condensation in more places than you might expect.

Unless you are in a dry room with lots of external ventilation, its necessary. Assuming you are doing a 5 gal batch, you will dump about 1.5 gallons of water into the local atmosphere. That will lead to condensation in more places than you might expect.

+1

There is a reason you see all those threads on venting. You need something powerful

I do not disagree about ventilation being necessary. My question was about the vent hood. Do I need the big piece of metal hanging down from the ceiling or would I get the same effect from having a 400 CFM fan mounted in the ceiling over the kettle with a grill over it? The reason I ask this question is because I am planning to do an E-BIAB setup and my ceiling will be just over 7', so vertical space is at a premium.

I do not disagree about ventilation being necessary. My question was about the vent hood. Do I need the big piece of metal hanging down from the ceiling or would I get the same effect from having a 400 CFM fan mounted in the ceiling over the kettle with a grill over it? The reason I ask this question is because I am planning to do an E-BIAB setup and my ceiling will be just over 7', so vertical space is at a premium.

My apologies, I was led astray by the "similar to those found in bathrooms" part of your question - made me think you were tyring to get away with a bathroom fan. I think that could work. I know someone on here has a 6" fan with a 6" to 8" reducer that just hangs above the kettle area at a slight angle. Would that be an option?

Found it

92a2b550.jpg

I'm just using a shallow (5" or so) plastic storage tote upside down over the kettle with a 4" to 6" duct reducer to a 6" fan inserted in a hole in one side. $7 at Kmart for the "hood", and it's clear plastic so doesn't block the light too much.

This is what I have, a rectangular box inlet mounted to the wall just above the kettle opening (i have to move it up a bit as i just installed bigger kettles) and it's attached a 6 inch fan with a variable speed controller, works great. When the fan is on full blast, it sucks off all of the steam rising from the kettle with no issues, I can hold my hand just above it as the boil is going and not feel any heat or moisture.

I did it this way after reading a few posts of people with hoods above the kettle stating that during the boil, moisture was collecting on the hoods and dripping back into the kettles.

IMG_20160318_083703.jpg

I am in the process of designing my brewing set up for my basement and had a question about ventilation. I have read several threads about vent hoods and exhaust fans and I was wondering how necessary the vent hood is. Would having an exhaust fan with a vent in the ceiling over my boil kettle, similar to those found in bathrooms, have the same effect?

Definitely yes on the vent

OP, if you read the directions on a bathroom vent you will see them direct you to keep the vent 3' away from the shower. Obviously you'd be using it for brewing and not a shower. I think their intent is to keep it away from water splashing and possibly high volume moisture. I know that every so often you need to pull the cover and clean them because it pulls moisture and dust and when the two combine you get clogging.

So what have you come up with so far?

Back