Vanilla Porter Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbertaBrewer

Reaction score
I am a fan of the Mill Street Vanilla Porter and would like to try to make one of my own. Was hoping for some feedback on a recipe I am playing around with since I am still pretty new.

.5# 120L Cry (Too much?)
1# 40L Cry (Too much?)
1# chocolate Malt(Too much?)
1# oat flaked or wheat
1# flaked barley
.25# brown (Perhaps omit all together?, lil biscut/malty might be nice?)
8 oz Cacao nibs
4 V-beans
1 lb lactose

Mash Med body 153f

3 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary on nibs/beans (Can add extract at bottle day if need be)

Yeast not sure US-05, S-04 0r Wyeast 1968 (In Canada dry yeast is $5 liq is $12)

I am a fan of the Mill Street Vanilla Porter and would like to try to make one of my own. Was hoping for some feedback on a recipe I am playing around with since I am still pretty new.

.5# 120L Cry (Too much?)
1# 40L Cry (Too much?)
1# chocolate Malt(Too much?)
1# oat flaked or wheat
1# flaked barley
.25# brown (Perhaps omit all together?, lil biscut/malty might be nice?)
8 oz Cacao nibs
4 V-beans
1 lb lactose

Mash Med body 153f

3 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary on nibs/beans (Can add extract at bottle day if need be)

Yeast not sure US-05, S-04 0r Wyeast 1968 (In Canada dry yeast is $5 liq is $12)

I would half the 40L or drop the lactose. That isn't too much chocolate malt. I will recommend pale chocolate malt with chocolate in a 3:1 ratio, just a personal preference. I'd stick with one of the flaked items, I like flaked barley for body/head retention. The brown malt I'd drop (not a huge fan) and use Maris Otter as a base malt. Four vanilla beans is quite a bit for a five gallon batch. I recently made a vanilla porter and used two Tahitian vanilla beans. The flavor was present but not overwhelming and played well with the flavors of the porter. Any of those yeasts should do just fine, S 04 would be more traditional.

Thanks, the reason I added so much flaked and the lactose is because I was trying to compensate for the fact the beer I am trying to get close too used nitrogen and I do not keg so beer gas is out of the question. I will likely drop half the 40l then I already have the lactose I may have some pale chocolate too and give your ratio a try as well.

I may just not go with the brow either I still have some left over from a recipe and thought it might help, Maris Otter is 2.75/lb for me until I can get a sack of it so have not been able to go that way as a base malt yet but am looking forward to Gambinus ESB eventually.

I am using the Madagascar bourbon beans but may cut back on those as well.

Thank you for the input

Back