Vanilla bean question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltAssault

Reaction score
I brewed a sweet stout that is in primary now. I have three vanilla beans I'd like to add (I assume I won't want all three?). I've never used vanilla beans before so I would love tips on how much, how long, sterilizing, etc. it's a 5 gallon batch and I'm looking for a pretty subtle vanilla flavor. Thanks!

For a subtle vanilla flavor in a stout, cut one bean open, scrape out all the insides, and toss the bean, insides, and all into secondary. So long as you haven't dipped the beans in anything nasty, there's no need to sterilize at this point. The risk of contamination is pretty low since your beer is fermented already.

Most use an alcohol that will compliment the brew, or add something else to it. IF you don't want a bourbon vanilla addition, use the cleanest vodka you can find. More distillations and filtering steps the better. I used some Skyy vodka to make my vanilla extract.

I do agree that you'll want to add one bean at a time, and then give it time to contribute to the batch. I wouldn't taste it for at least a couple of weeks after adding it.

Another option is to add some oak (medium toast) chips to the brew. Give it more time (3-4 months) and the oak flavors will mutate to vanilla. It's pretty common when using oak chips. Not like cubes, spirals, and staves.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I like the bourbon method. If I split and scrape a bean in bourbon, is a few teaspoons adequate? How long should I let it sit?

Use enough to cover (the bean) and let it sit for at least an hour or three. No harm from a day, or more. Just make sure you cover the container you use.

I've done this with 3 beans and some vodka. I just cut em up and threw them in but maybe scraping would work better for extraction? I left it sitting for a couple weeks while the brew was in primary. A few days is probably fine though. I really would do an alcohol soak as (IMHO) even though the beer is done fermenting it still can get infected from adding something like vanilla bean in without any sanitizing. Especially a low gravity sweet stout.

I went the same way as Hopper, cut up and scraped 2 beans and soaked them in vodka for about a week before chucking it into the primary at 4 days. Eve though this was a Wit, there was very little obvious vanila taste or smell. Now that's not a bad thing for the Wit, as I was going for a nice blend of tastes. But if you want to notice it then more is better.

I made the bourbon stew with one bean but it sounds like I should add another? I want to taste it and know that it's vanilla, just don't want to overdo it.

I've made a vanilla porter many times with one vanilla bean split and sliced in about 6 pieces. I soak the whole thing cut up in about an ounce or so of rum. Then poor the whole concoction into the secondary. Rack the beer on top, give it 9 days. Boom, should be exactly what you're looking for.

My wife makes her own vanilla. I just take a bean or two out of one of her jars (don't tell her!!!), cut it up, slice it up and toss it. After a month or so in straight vodka, there's little if any risk of infection IMO.

Good luck.

I went the same way as Hopper, cut up and scraped 2 beans and soaked them in vodka for about a week before chucking it into the primary at 4 days. Eve though this was a Wit, there was very little obvious vanila taste or smell. Now that's not a bad thing for the Wit, as I was going for a nice blend of tastes. But if you want to notice it then more is better.

Using it during active fermentation means most of the vanilla flavor/aroma blows out the airlock. Better to do it post active fermentation. It can be done in primary, provided you do it at the right time.

I went ahead and threw it in secondary and let it sit for a week. I'm bottling today, I'll let you know how much it came through.

I've used 2 in a few brews, and it's there, but gets lost to the after taste unless you have a lighter beer with little roasted malt in there...

I've got a RIS that I'm about to add 3 beans to. I've had them soaking for 2 weeks in some PVW, and I'm going to dump it all in there and let it sit.

I did take a sample and there was plenty vanilla present. I soaked one and a half beans (my compromise) for a week and racked to secondary. Let it sit for a little over a week. It's perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

Back