Vanilla Bean Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Split, scrapped out and soaked in vodka at least overnight. Include what you scrape out of the beans. Looks like a tasty recipe.

An ounce seems like a lot. I used 2 large beans and it was the right amount for a 5 gallon batch. No idea what they weighed but less than an ounce.

You want to sanitise the beans plus extract as much flavour as possible. Alcohol is good for this, I used bourbon but others use vodka. Split the beans down the middle, scrape out the seeds (the best bit), chop up the skin into 1/2 inch bits - chuck all of that into a sanitised jar with some alcohol and let it steep several days while your beer does it's primary fermentation.

Then rack to secondary with the contents of the jar. To be honest you probably don't need to do secondary, I'm sure this would work fine in primary too.

One thing to watch for is that the vanilla flavour fades pretty quick. Treat it like an IPA and don't try to age it.

Split in the middle and scraped. I think it's best to soak in a small amt of vodka overnight. About 5 yrs ago I had a ruined vanilla porter that I blame on the beans (might be wrong, will never know I guess). 2 carboys worth on the lawn.

Beans are pretty expensive these days. Beanilla used to be a good deal, but even they are expensive now.

You can't have too much vanilla in my opinion. I made a bourbon vanilla porter back in the spring and I added a TON of vanilla and it was good.

usually use 2 beans split, scraped, and chopped and let sit in 2oz vodka for 2 weeks. pour into secondary when transferring.

Best wishes!

:)

Thanks advice, I got the recipe from iBrewMaster2. Looking forward to this weekend I think I'm on the - more vanilla the better side. Fingers crossed [emoji482][emoji482]

I always use 5 whole beans, split, scraped, and soaked in either bourbon or rum (depending on the beer I am making) and it is always the perfect amount for my 7% all the way up to my 14% brews. I also add everything into the beer at secondary.

I used 2 beans, scraped out the inside and chopped up the rest of the bean and added both to the fermenter about four days after pitching the yeast. Batch was 5 gallon porter. Vanilla was good, although possibly even too vanilla-y for my personal taste, so an ounce seems a tad excessive to me.

I think the freshness of your beans comes into account as well. I always use super fresh beans so the flavor is a bit more pronounced. I have had some beans that were not fresh before and they were dried out and did not contribute as much flavor as fresher beans.

I have not had vanilla fall off in my beers either, which may be because of the high amount I use.

Either way, it is going to depend on your taste. If you like a lot of vanilla, go big...If you just want subtle, start with two and see how it works. You can always add more.

This is a Dry Dock Pro Series clone from Northern Brewer. I brewed last Saturday and all is well, it's bubbling away. I'm not sure how " fresh " the beans are. I bought them from my LHBS - Brewers Best brand he had on the wall. If it's a dried product how fresh could the importance be?? Granted I doubt the Brewers brand is fresher then Whole Foods but dried is dried right??

When beans are fresh, they are plump and moist. As they age, they dry out and get a bit hard. I have let fresh beans sit in the sealed package for a few months and they get hard and have some brown liquid that seeps out of them. I have not used the brewers best ones, but I do not think they should be all that dry. Are we talking like dehydrated dried, or just not plump and moist?

Worldclassvanilla.com is the best for vanilla. $36 for 1/2 pound.

I saw vanilla beans at Costco the other day in some fancy packaging, can't remember the price, anyone try them?

I just finished a 5g cream ale with vanilla. I used 2 beans,scraped out the inside of both and cut up the beans and added all of it to vodka (enough to cover) for about 1.5 days then added 3/4 of the vodka with about 1/2 the beans and scrapings, no straining. Kept it like that for 2 days then transferred to a keg. For the style it was probably on the boarder of a little much, I'm glad I didn't go all the way with it, but probably the right amount for what you are making. I guess what I'm trying to say is a little goes a long way and you can always add but hard to take away.

If the beans are "smoochy", I would say you are good, but as ECUPirate07 said, you can always add, but not take away.

I just finished a 5g cream ale with vanilla. I used 2 beans,scraped out the inside of both and cut up the beans and added all of it to vodka (enough to cover) for about 1.5 days then added 3/4 of the vodka with about 1/2 the beans and scrapings, no straining. Kept it like that for 2 days then transferred to a keg. For the style it was probably on the boarder of a little much, I'm glad I didn't go all the way with it, but probably the right amount for what you are making. I guess what I'm trying to say is a little goes a long way and you can always add but hard to take away.

Vanilla will fade. :)

I use 5 beans, split, lightly scraped, and cut into 1" pieces and then soaked in good vodka during the 10 day primary period for my 10 gallon vanilla cream ale and lager batches. I don't add the beans just the liquid, typically about 4 or 5 teaspoons, into each 5 gallon corny keg. That method has worked for me for many batches going back many years. I like a subtle, as opposed to in-your-face, vanilla flavor though.

Back