Valves Won't Open During Automation! Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinezer

Reaction score
I've been slowing building my modified Brutus 10 and have finally got everything finished or so I thought. I plugged in the control panel, the pump plugins work, the PIDs work and seemingly everything is going well until I get to the automation and the valves won't open/burners won't light. I've racked my brain for the last two days and tried everything with no success. Hopefully someone here can tell me what I'm doing wrong so that I can get back to brewing!

My setup:
-Valve: Honeywell VR8200A2132 24 VAC
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2132-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11588000-p

-Burners: Banjo 10 Inch BG14

-Transformer: IQ America Multi-Voltage Transformer
http://www.homedepot.com/p/IQ-America-Multi-Voltage-Wired-Doorbell--
Transformer-DT-1624A/202278728

-PID - Auberins Universal 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=106

Wiring:
TH Wire -> Coaxial DC power plug -> Coaxial DC power jack -> PID position 14 -> HOA switch bottom position (fire)
TR Wire -> Coaxial DC power plug -> Coaxial DC power jack -> 24V terminal strip (Neutral)
HOA Switch:
1 2
3 4
5 6

1 connected to PID position 13 (auto); 3 & 4 connected to 24V terminal strip (Positive); 6 connected to PID position 14 (fire)

24V Terminal Strip: First 3 positions - 24V wire from transformer and wires from positions 3 & 4 from each HOA switch; Second 3 positions - 24V wire from transformer and TR wires from each furnace valve hookups. Both 3 piece sections are connected using separate jumper strips

Hopefully that's enough baseline information so that someone can help me out. I can get the pilot lights lit but can't get the burners to fire up either in automatic (temp control) mode or fire mode. Here are a few theories that I have.

1. Transformer is bad, so power isn't being sent out to the furnace valves. This could be due to the fact that I'm using a variable voltage transformer and not a straight 110V to 24V setup. Or it might be fried from being hooked up improperly. Or it's not strong enough to run two valves.

2. Transformer is wired wrong. I wired the load wire to the bottom of the center screw and the neutral to the left-side screw.

3. Not receiving power from 110V side. This seems unlikely to me since all of the other components work.

4. Wiring is completely wrong. This is possible but I was following the diagrams of other using the same setup as myself with no problems.

Please help! I need to start brewing again and I can't go back to old setup. I plan on buying a new transformer that's strictly 110V to 24V, so maybe that will do that trick. But if anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Do you have a meter? Ring out the circuit. Verify voltage, verify the transformer is rated for the current draw. If you don't have to use connectors, don't, bypass them to troubleshoot.

Where did you get your HOA switch? Does it have NO contacts on both sides of the switch?

Todd

"2. Transformer is wired wrong. I wired the load wire to the bottom of the center screw and the neutral to the left-side screw."

According to the product photo, that will provide only 8VAC, which won't do anything. To get 24VAC you need to use the two lower connections and ignore the upper one.

Back