Vacuum Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I tried this for the first time this weekend. Utilized a small pump I had and adjusted the vacuum for 22 " hg. I got fairly good results initially. My Merlot had been in the secondary for about five weeks and it took about 3 minutes for the bubbles to reside.

I then added the normal clarifiers and perservatives, stirred and degassed again as the kit instructed. This time the bubbles just kept coming. After about ten minutes I called it quits and assumed the activity was some sort of result from the additives.

Is this a normal observance?

How long do you guys degass with vacuum?

I use a tetra aquarium pump with the valves turned backwards as my vacuum pump, and I use kegs for my vessels. I usually leave it on for 30 minutes or so at room temperature and it does a good job.

I do not typically add clarifiers, but there is a chance that it provided nucleation sites for the bubbles and this is what caused it. You could always add the clarifiers and then hook up the pump.

I use a tetra aquarium pump with the valves turned backwards as my vacuum pump, and I use kegs for my vessels.

OMG i did not realize u could do that. I Use these pumps for all kinds of things, but now its like a whole new land of opportunity has opened up lmao.

I just took the big one i had and made a degasser out of some tubing and a spare bung and airlock. 5 mins and less than 30 bucks if u gotta buy it all.

1421875576846-1439317549.jpg

I seen a video of a Yuri using the accessory on a food saver. I have one that pull's out.. i could just stick it over a bung and hit start and pull it all out in a minute or so ( I only do a gallon at a time )

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwphCnFdak[/ame]

Back