uto... did i just ruin my aluminum brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
I made a possible disastrous move... I got a 12 gallon aluminum brew pot a few months ago and decided to install a nice thermometer. I have all the right tools, made the hole, etc. To make the drilled area nice and smooth I sanded the hole... but now I have a nice SANDED 1 inch ring around my aluminum pot. I am worried about leaching... is this a disaster dump or think I can oxidize the layer and move on?

I made a possible disastrous move... I got a 12 gallon aluminum brew pot a few months ago and decided to install a nice thermometer. I have all the right tools, made the hole, etc. To make the drilled area nice and smooth I sanded the hole... but now I have a nice SANDED 1 inch ring around my aluminum pot. I am worried about leaching... is this a disaster dump or think I can oxidize the layer and move on?

I would oxidize the pot before using it... what did you sand it with?

I would oxidize the pot before using it... what did you sand it with?

An electric sander. I used a small head with fine sand paper. Its pretty rough, actually, and I can hand sand it down to be really smooth and then re oxidize it...?

Do you know what temp in the oven to oxidize? I cant find the old thread that tells me what temp....

Right? Way too much thought is given to this... but simply boiling WATER inside the pot before brewing beer inside it should fix this perceived problem.

Latest posts

Back