Utilizing a used whiskey barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtoddlarson

Reaction score
A local whiskey distiller is selling his used whiskey barrels. they are 10 gallons, which is a nice fit with my brewing equipment. Any thoughts on how to use one? Aging beer? Any sanitation concerns? I ultimately keg in soda kegs. Should I age some beer in these barrels? for how long? Thanks for any insight.

Depends on what you are going for. If you want to just add a little bit of whisky/oak character to your beers, you can just add fermented beer into the barrel and extract some of those tasty flavors. Depending on how long ago it was emptied, you may have to clean and sanitize the barrel. I believe there are sulpher sticks you can burn in them to kill off most of the nasties, and a little starsan probably wouldn't hurt, but I'd read up on it before jumping in. As for how long, 10-gallon barrels are going to have a lot of surface contact with your beer, so the flavor should develop fairly quickly. I'd plan on testing it out every few days or so until its at a point where you like it. The more batches you use it for, the less will remain so it will probably take longer, but I think the only way to know is to test it out.

The other option, if you're so inclined, is to turn it into a sour barrel. Not sure what the whisky/oak would do to sour beers so you may want to either purge with water a little or do a few regular batches before souring it up. At that point, toss a good base beer into the barrel, add some bugs (brett, pedio, maybe some lacto, etc.) or some dregs, and let it sit for a long while. There are a ton of posts on here from people that know way more about sour bugs than I that could help you out, but if you're interested a 10-gal barrel is probably the best way to jump in feet first!

The first few batches will have a lot of whisky flavor with the whisky flavor diminishing with each batch as it gets extracted. You will continue to get oak for a while but over time it will fade as well. The amount of oak you get will also depend on how long the distiller used the barrels.

The duration of barrel aging will depend on what strength the flavors in the barrel (whisky, oak) have left and how much of that character you want in the beer. For the first several batches you may only need to age for a few days or weeks. As time goes on you may be able to age for months and as the oak flavor goes away as well, perhaps even years if you would like.

There is some advice that can get you killed. Sulphur stick into a used whiskey barrel can make a nice explosion.

here is some good info on barrel maintenance

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Keeping it Clean

Latest posts

Back