Utility sink in basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blauwkonein

Reaction score
My basement has a small separate bathroom with toilet and sink, but I want to get an industrial sink for cleaning purposes. The problem is getting water to- and from that industrial sink.

I could install an y-adapter under the existing sink and run a hose from that to the industrial sink. That should work fine. But the problem is draining it. Would it be possible to just run another piece of tubing back from the industrial sink drain to either that small bathroom sink or into the toilet next to it? I would have to leave the bathroom door open of course, which is not a big problem. But will the water flow there by pressure once there is a sufficient amount in the industrial sink, or do I need a pump? I don't really want to run pipes through the wall..

Uff.. that's not a cheap one. I guess running some pipes through the wall will be a better option then.

Can you access the sinks plumbing? You can install a wye into it. But there is a slope calc I think you need to follow for code.

Was no an option for me, so I installed a pump, found on CL for 30.

Whether the sink will drain naturally is dependent upon the levels of water in the sink and the receiving receptacle.

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ a temporary hose draining the sink, if you can make it work. The concern tends to be anti-siphon, so you cannot draw the wastewater back into the fresh water system. As long as you're not running a hose from the sink supply to the waste supply directly, that shouldn't be an issue.

Can you access the sinks plumbing? You can install a wye into it. But there is a slope calc I think you need to follow for code.

Was no an option for me, so I installed a pump, found on CL for 30.

The part going from the sink into the floor is visible and accessible. Can't go under the floor/behind the walls though. What do you mean with that slope calc/code?

What about replacing the existing sink with a nice SS utility sink that drops into the existing cabinet?

Unfortunately the room in which that sink is placed is too small for that..

Whether the sink will drain naturally is dependent upon the levels of water in the sink and the receiving receptacle.

I don't think there's anything wrong w/ a temporary hose draining the sink, if you can make it work. The concern tends to be anti-siphon, so you cannot draw the wastewater back into the fresh water system. As long as you're not running a hose from the sink supply to the waste supply directly, that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't get that last part. I can't draw the wastewater back into the fresh water system, but I can draw it back into either the sink itself or the toilet (as both would be drains where wastewater goes, no?)

I would be running a hose from the sink supply to the industrial sink, and then another hose from the industrial sink's drain into the toilet or sink.

Originally Posted by mongoose33

I don't get that last part. I can't draw the wastewater back into the fresh water system, but I can draw it back into either the sink itself or the toilet (as both would be drains where wastewater goes, no?)

I would be running a hose from the sink supply to the industrial sink, and then another hose from the industrial sink's drain into the toilet or sink.

The point of anti-siphon devices is to prevent, upon a reduction of pressure, "suck back" into the potable water part of your plumbing system.

This could happen if you had crap in the sink and a hose from the faucet submerged in that water.

My point was that as long as you aren't creating a closed passage of that water, you should be ok. No code, insofar as I know, would ever allow a temporary system like you describe, but as long as you're not allowing a connection between the potable and waste systems, you should be ok.

following, I have the exact same thing in mind.... I do have a sump pump in the room in my basement, was considering running the drain over to the sump.

following, I have the exact same thing in mind.... I do have a sump pump in the room in my basement, was considering running the drain over to the sump.

You would need to make sure it was just water and no solids of any kind going to the sump pit. Otherwise, change out the sump pump for an affluent type pump used in ejector pits that can handle solids.

You would need to make sure it was just water and no solids of any kind going to the sump pit. Otherwise, change out the sump pump for an affluent type pump used in ejector pits that can handle solids.

What he is referring to is a pump with a grinder for poo, but a sink pump typically does not have a grinder.

I had already thought of that, was considering putting a trap basket some where in the system to catch solids.

Back