Using yeast K1V-1116 to help finish high gravity stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First, in case anyone else reads that article, it implies that any "champagne" yeast can be used, which is false, because almost all of them cannot use maltotriose and are bad at using maltose.

K1V-1116 could work, because it doesn't have that issue.

But, are you sure your stout is really stuck? What was the OG and what is the current gravity, and how did you measure them? Also, what was your grain bill, mash temp, mash length, and yeast strain?

I think the most common reason for "my fermentation is stuck" posts is the use of a refractometer without a refractometer calculator. And I think the most common reason for "my stout fermentation is stuck" is an unreasonable expectation of what the FG should be, because of software that doesn't take the makup of the grain bill into account.

I should have posted my question that I was curious about this in case I ever did get a stuck fermentation on a higher gravity stout. I measure gravity with a hydrometer.

I have used K1V-1116 in a moderate gravity light beer as the only yeast to see how it would work. It worked just fine and attenuated well. I thought the beer tasted good (it was just a SMaSH ale with pilsner malt and I think Sterling hops) but I took some to a homebrew club meeting and one of the members said it wasn't bad but tasted a little weird. (the wrong kind of esters, maybe?) I'm getting ready to try it again in a Belgian Dubbel where rose and pear esters (etc) could be a good thing. IIRC, it didn't have any banana. ("Yes, we have no bananas..."♫) :ban:

The high attenuation might not be good in a stout; it may finish too dry. CBC-1 or champagne yeast will finish off all the simple sugars and leave the maltotriose. If it's still too heavy you can follow up with 'V1116. HTH. Imperial Stout is not one of my styles so I don't know how heavy it should end up.

Back