Using yeast for a split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berndawg84

Reaction score
So I'm going to be doing a 5 gallon batch of Saison, evenly split between 2 fermenters (one will be regular, the other one will get blackberries). I plan on doing the blackberries in a secondary and have a couple questions..

1) Should I just ferment the whole 5gallons together, and then once fermentation is done, rack half to a second carboy and add the berries? Or should I ferment as two 2.5gal batches from the beginning? I have heard that when doing fruit it's best to rack the beer off the trub first. It would be easier to probably ferment it all together, but I do have the capability to temp control 2 carboys...

2) If I do split up the batch to 2 carboys at the beginning, can I just split up my yeast starter and pitch half of the starter into each carboy? I have just one packet of WLP566 Saison II yeast...if I split up the yeast starter, I wonder if I'll need to get a second packet of yeast.

thanks.

1) Depends on how much fruit flavor/aroma you want. If you put the fruit in during primary, a lot of the aroma compounds will dissipate with the CO2. If you put the fruit in after high krausen, then you will retain more of the fruit flavor. If it was me, I'd ferment it as a single batch, then split after and rack onto the fruit (to minimize oxidation).

2) Yes you can. Just make sure that you make a starter if the OG is any higher than 1.030-ish. A second pack of yeast wouldn't hurt though (1 pack each)

Ok thanks that helps. I'll just ferment the one batch and split it later. I have a 2 liter starter going so I should be ok there thanks.

Back