Using what I have: Stout extract kit and a BUNCH of hops. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After being gone for a while (other projects) I've decided it's time to get back to doing some brewing. I have a stout kit I got a while ago I need to use (gonna snag some fresh yeast) and I also have a few bags of whole leaf hops my GF bought for a project a while ago as well. These things need to be used up so I'm thinking of course a hoppy stout. Anyone have some suggestions on hop addition times? I'll get some more accurate info later when I dig all the stuff out (I don't know if the LME is hopped, and I don't know exactly how many hops I have, I just know it's like 2 or 3 vac bags).

Cheers

I'd probably use them in an IPA instead of a stout. I'm not a huge fan of citrus hops mixing with the coffee-chocolate stout flavors, but some people are. In either case, I would add most of the hops shortly after the beer has come off the boil and let them steep for 15-30 minutes at around 180 degrees. If you're not boiling the full volume, I would add however much water you needed to get the temp under 190 and go from there. I'd use the remaining hops as a dry hop for 3-7 days.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I haven't done any dry hopping yet so I'm interested in what effect that has on the final product?

Can you list what malts you have? I'm interested in seeing what I've got in the old recipe bank that might help you out. What varieties of hops?

I'll get that info posted tomorrow. It's an extract stout kit so I'm not 100% on what the LME is.

so it's a brewers best oatmeal stout kit, and about 3-4oz of US Sterling leaf (not as much hops as I thought)

Oatmeal Stout (S)
A medium-full bodied ale, rich and toasty in flavor. Victory® malt combines with the flaked brewers oatmeal to offer a nutty yet silky character. Dark chocolate barley adds an impression of roasted coffee. 2-row malt is included to aid in converting the oats’ starches into fermentable sugars. The selected yeast will yield a fermentation that leaves a slightly sweet character.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/recipes2.html

anyone? Bueler? I may try and do this over the weekend since they're calling for rain all weekend.

Dry-hopping mostly adds aroma; it tends to fade over a few months. Sterling is an interesting hop for this (I assumed you had Cascade or something similar). It's described as "Floral, spicy, slight citrus aroma," and is typically used in paler Belgian ales and German beers. The spicy-earthy aspect might be largely obscured by the stout flavors, but throwing the lot of it in at 190 as described above could be good.

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll try and do this over the weekend/monday and let ya know how it goes :)

Latest posts

Back