Double Batch Doppelgangers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuercusMax

Reaction score
I just upgraded to a 15-gallon kettle so I can now do 10 gallon batches, and I'm thinking it will be fun to do two different beer styles from the same batch of wort. I've done this a few times before either by just brewing the exact same batch twice on the same day, or doing a 6-gallon batch and splitting into 2 3-gallon carboys.

I haven't found a list of beer styles you can do this with before, so I thought it might be a fun exercise to try to make one. With a bit of creativity, there are some possibilities to make some *very* different twins - think Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenneger! For example, you could add extra sugars post-boil, or a spice tea, dry hop, fruit, etc.

I've done a Schwarzbier/Black Saison 3-gallon split batch. The schwarzbier was very tasty, and the black saison I dry-hopped with Strisselspalt, and came out very interesting.

I did a double-brewday Helles and Kolsch, both of which were very tasty. (Even though I forgot my catch-bucket when grinding the malt for my Kolsch, and had to scrape it off the driveway!)

This weekend I'm doing a Dortmunder/Blonde ale (or maybe Helles and Cream Ale, depending on my mash efficiency) using WLP820 and US-05.

You could probably do a Dry Stout and Sweet Stout by boiling lactose to sterilize/dissolve, and add to the fermenter.

Maibock and Belgian Golden or Dark Strong - use noble hops, add table sugar and/or dark candi syrup to primary.

Helles and Belgian Single - use noble hops and boil some coriander + orange peel in a small amount of water to extract some flavor

American Wheat and Hefeweizen - pretty self-explanatory

Marzen or Dunkel / Holiday Spiced Beer? Just spitballing here, but seems like that kind of grainbill might do well with some spices and an ale yeast. (Or even a lager yeast at warm temps - I recently made a Cal Common with WLP820 that I would have sworn had pumpkin in it.)

You have some interesting ideas, and if you spent an hour looking through Radical Brewing, I bet you could come up with a lot more. One idea that comes to mind from that book: he suggests brewing a basic Hefeweizen but fermenting with Belgian ale yeast. It would be worth a shot.

You could probably do a Dry Stout and Sweet Stout by boiling lactose to sterilize/dissolve, and add to the fermenter.

My understanding is that a classic Guinness style dry stout contains no crystal malt, while most of the sweetness in a sweet stout comes from crystal, usually around 10%. I don't know that the lactose will get you where you want to go.

I have been looking at California Common recipes, and I am thinking that you might get a pretty awesome Cal Common by brewing a Redhook clone and using San Francisco lager yeast- the Tettnang / Willamette hop combo would have that woody spicy earthy flavor you are looking for in a Cal Common. Maybe brew an 85-10-5 Pale-Medium Crystal-Victory beer with a blend of Willamette and Tettnang, and pitch English ale yeast in one and San Francisco Lager in the other. I bet both beers would be awesome.

Regarding stouts - not all dry stouts are Guinness clones. :D I've made a very nice dry stout a la Beamish that contains a decent percentage of dark Crystal malt - it was on the lower end of the gravity spectrum and I mashed really low, but it was very tasty. With the right choice of yeast you could quite different attenuation between two stouts - use a crazy flocculator like WLP002 for the sweet stout and something like Cal Ale or Dry Whitbread and you could probably get .004 SG point just based on the yeast, not even taking into account the lactose.

I should break out my copy of Radical Brewing - it's got a lot of interesting ideas, not all of which are necessary good or practical ideas. A Hef with a belgian yeast would be a lot like a belgian single, or a wit, both of which are delicious. Boil some flour and toss it in and you'll get a nice starch haze, too.

Your ESB / Cal Common idea sounds awesome. I may have to try that out.

I did a write-up on this sort of thing.

Pale Ale and Brown
Brown and Porter/Stout
*Ofest and Double (the biggest difference)
Pils and Tripel
Best Bitter and American IPA
Brown Porter and Arrogant Bastard Clone
Irish Red and ESB/Pale Ale

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Back