Using the HLT HERMS to chill the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HockeyBoy29

Reaction score
I find very few examples of people using their HERMS coil as a chiller, except when it is detached and being used as an immersion chiller.

Here's what I plan to do in my single tier, three vessel Electric HERMS build:

Recirculate the mash between the MLT and the HERMS-equipped HLT like normal, then post-mash, transfer wort to Boil Kettle while sparging, like normal.

But once boil volume is reached, I will transfer out all remaining hot water to MLT to hold for cleanup, and fill HLT with cold water and ice. Then when boil is over, whirlpool, pumping wort through the HERMS coil to chill down to pitching temp. Once wort is down to temp, pump wort into fermenter and pitch.

Does anyone see any drawback from this approach? I'm surprised I don't see more people doing this, and it makes me think perhaps I'm missing something. Maybe this has been talked about and I've just missed the threads?

I'm looking at 20 gallon vessels for 10 gallon batches and want pumps to do the heavy lifting.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think it will work GREAT! I whirlpool/chill with a conterflow chiller and a cooler full of ice. I hate the idea of wasting so much water the conventional way!

I would prefer to chill in a single pass, but I use this process without issue.

Don't add ice to your HLT immediately.
I normally recirculate the boiling wort through my system at least 10 min before flameout to pasteurized my Herms coil and hoses while whirlpooling the kettle.

After flame out I will use a garden hose, set on fan or cone, to spray my coil for a few minutes in order to cut the heat prior to adding ice.
(Letting the water drain out of HLT into buckets)
When the temp leaving the HERMS gets about 120° (kettle is still hotter)I will fill the HLT with ice and top off with water to cover my coil. Probably a 60qt cooler worth for 5 gallons. (20 gal HLT)

A strong recirc pump on the HLT would be highly recommended
I don't have one, so I stir the ice with my mash paddle until I see KO temp leaving the HERMS.
Hook up to ferm turn on my inline O2 and keep stirring during the KO to maintain temp.

I use 50' of 1/2" stainless (.035 ID).

I would prefer to chill in a single pass, but I use this process without issue.

Don't add ice to your HLT immediately.
I normally recirculate the boiling wort through my system at least 10 min before flameout to pasteurized my Herms coil and hoses while whirlpooling the kettle.

After flame out I will use a garden hose, set on fan or cone, to spray my coil for a few minutes in order to cut the heat prior to adding ice.
(Letting the water drain out of HLT into buckets)
When the temp leaving the HERMS gets about 120° (kettle is still hotter)I will fill the HLT with ice and top off with water to cover my coil. Probably a 60qt cooler worth for 5 gallons. (20 gal HLT)

A strong recirc pump on the HLT would be highly recommended
I don't have one, so I stir the ice with my mash paddle until I see KO temp leaving the HERMS.
Hook up to ferm turn on my inline O2 and keep stirring during the KO to maintain temp.

I use 50' of 1/2" stainless (.035 ID).

That is very sound advice. I will indeed plan to recirc boiled wort through the hoses, pumps and coil to pasteurize before beginning the chill.

Thanks! [emoji4][emoji106]

I do the same or similar to gks, but the ice i make with meatloaf trays in my freezer and or red solo cups frozen. I hadn't used my cfc for so long I sold it.

I think you'd be going through tons of water that way. I will be using a plate chiller, but I plan on filling my HLT with ice water and using that to pass through the chiller in one pass. This way should only use about 10 gallons of water and a 20 lb bag of ice.

Back