Using Sun's Radiant Energy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drayman86

Reaction score
During the summer months, I use the sun for:

1. Warming the mash tun/cooler. I put the tun in a closed car that's parked in the sun. Great way to pre-heat tun.

2. During the mash, I cover the tun with a black plastic garbage bag. This helps to keep the tun warm during the mash.

at first I thought "you brew in the SUN!?!", then I saw you are from the snowy north. :)

Here it's 105F INSIDE my garage last weekend. I hide in the shade. :D

I bet you can use that snow in winter to pack a pre-chiller for a wort chiller coolant line and go from 212 to 40 in seconds!

Good idea on heating the mash tun, though. I may toss my cooler into the black pickup truck tomorrow for pre-heating.

I like that idea of preheating the cooler in the truck. I mash on my tailgate, and I could easily slide my cooler under the black tanau cover park in the sun during the one hour mash, too. When sparge time comes I could back in to the shaded carport. Great idea! Thanks!

I'm all for leveraging available energy but the downside is that you're constantly adjusting your process over the seasons which can lead to inconsistency. I'm not sure it that big of a deal, but I just wanted to piss in your pool ;-)

not really a big change to go from warming the cooler in the car to warming it with hot water, though. :)

If you really want to use the suns energy, put solar panels on your roof. I just met a guy that powers his entire house and farm using solar power, and sells around $1000 worth of solar credits out per month. He said it was (gulp) 80k to fill his roof, and the government refunded him 45k. After 3.75 years he'll be making a grand a month profit off it tho. IDK... just an idea... I dont think anyone would be doing this just to power their brew pot tho! HA! Oh... on a side note, Brooklyn Brewery uses wind power to run their brewery.

Latest posts

Back