Using Rice Without a Cereal Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
I have had success using Minute Rice directly in my mash, however I'd like to use regular rice to keep my costs down.

For convenience, I'd rather not do a cereal mash.

1. Has anyone had any success using "parboiled" rice directly in a mash?

2. Is it possible to just cook rice, then add it directly to the mash?

I *think* the answer to this is yes, but I've never done so can't speak from experience. It would be a clumpy, sticky mess in your mash tun, of course, so you would need to add rice hulls or somehow avoid a stuck sparge.

I've ready online about people freezing rice after cooking it in order to avoid the stickiness and to save it for a later time. Has anyone ever tried pitching frozen cooked rice directly into the mash tun?

As another option, what about mixing some cracked 2-row into the rice at the end of cooking it in order to keep the rice from clumping, then adding it to the mash tun?

I have had success using Minute Rice directly in my mash, however I'd like to use regular rice to keep my costs down.

For convenience, I'd rather not do a cereal mash.

1. Has anyone had any success using "parboiled" rice directly in a mash?

Never tried #1. I've done #2:

First, I milled the rice (yes in my grain mill), and I cooked it in extra water (about 3:1 water:rice) until it started to gelatinize. Add this to the main mash, and mash for 90 minutes.

The gelatinized material is VERY easy to scorch, be very careful.

MC

Latest posts

Back