Using plastic distilled water jugs for smaller batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki008

Reaction score
Good morning. I did some quick searching but didnt have too much luck with out getting a ton of off target hits so i thought i would ask.

I am just getting into mead making and currently have a 5 gallon batch going but i was thinking i wanted to try a few smaller 1 gallon test batches.

Since i am just starting out before going picking up several 1 gallon carboys are there any issues with using clean and steralized 1 gallon water jugs from distilled water for the primary fermentation and racking of these batches?

Just thought that it would make a bit easer to experiment with smaller batches to see what works and doesnt work for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I'm doing this right now, and have seen others do it, but I'm very new to this so I can't speak to the results of using these instead of glass.

If it is the cloudy, milk jug plastic, then no. If it is the clear plastic, then maybe.

My advice is to buy a gallon of wine or apple juice in a glass jug and reuse it.

You will get much better results from glass, so I second the recommendation to find some wine jugs. Maybe check you local recycling location. I am always finding these things at our small town recycle. Maybe ask a party store that sells them if they know of any places that accept them for recycle.

Or you can drink the wine yourself...

The clear jugs made of PETE will protect better against O2.

EDIT: missed the part about making MEAD. This is what I get for not paying attention when surfing the "New Posts" results...

Back