Using peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Want to make a red with the heat of peppers but as little of the taste as possible. How do you incorporate them into the process to accomplish. Vehicles peppers would be best.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've done beers with habanero and anotha with chipotle. Both came out perfect. I was going for the flavor of them tho so I would recommend just using the seeds in the last 5 minutes of the boil and even letting them sit through fermentation

I used habanero peppers for a porter that turned out nice. I dry hopped a five gallon batch with 7 peppers for 3-4 days in the secondary. The heat wasn't overpowering, just right.

we make a hot version of our flagship ipa. we use about 30 or so habaneros for a 3 bbl batch, or we use a mix of peppers depending on what we can get from employees/customers. cut about half of the peppers in half, leave the others whole. put in a pot. cover with water, and raise to a boil. reduce to simmer for about half hour, or until you remember its on the stove. let it cool. put the pepper water (however much you feel you want/need) in secondary and bag the peppers and put them in. you could also just do it at kegging. or in your bottling bucket.

i should say that you do get some of the pepper character, but its mainly heat.

In my experience, I used three habaneros de-seeded, quartered, and dropped into a five gallon secondary that had mild pepper flavor and a moderate heat to it.

I've heard that the seeds can contribute spice and heat without the peppery/vegetal flavor. You may want to consider that in the last 5 of the boil or secondary.

The capsacin idea also sounds good...as long as you aliquot :cross:

Here's another thread that discusses it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/jalapenos-seeds-no-seeds-145573/

Back