using partial mash to make big beers with small tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
I use a 5 gallon igloo cooler for my mash tun. Until I can get this upgraded, I have been limited in the size of beer I can make. I'm fine with it, as I only typically make a big beer once a year - I like to make a RIS or barleywine or something like that every winter, age it all year, and drink it the next winter.

Last year was the first time I tried doing this all-grain. I tried using this recipe, but scaled back to make 3.5 gallons so I could fit all of the grains in my tun.

making 3.5 gallons is no fun. So, thinking about this, another alternative is to scale back on the base malt and replace with DME in the boil, right?

Here's how I think it works:

original grain bill:
2-row: 17 lb (82%)
Roasted Barley: 1.5 lb (7%)
Special B: 1 lb (5%)
Chocolate malt: 0.75 lb (4%)
CaraPils: 0.5 lb (2%)
========
20.75 lb total grain bill
predicted OG - 1.104

Partial mash version:
2-row: 8 lb (68%)
Roasted Barley: 1.5 lb (13%)
Special B: 1 lb (9%)
Chocolate malt: 0.75 lb (6%)
CaraPils: 0.5 lb (4%)
DME-light - 5 lb
===========
11.75 lb total grain bill
predicted OG: 1.099

these recipes should produce a roughly equivalent beer, right (neglecting the 0.005 difference in gravity)? Any concern with a smaller percentage of base malt in the mash? There still should be plenty of diastatic power for conversion.

Just looking to doublecheck my thought process.

of course, the easy answer is to get a bigger mash-tun, but I'm not upgrading my equipment until I'm ready to go big, so you work with what you've got.

You really don't have much in the partial mash recipe that needs conversion except for the 2-row itself. You should be fine.

You really don't have much in the partial mash recipe that needs conversion except for the 2-row itself. You should be fine.

so in theory, could this be converted to an extract recipe like this:

steeping grains:

Roasted Barley: 1.5 lb
Special B: 1 lb
Chocolate malt: 0.75 lb
CaraPils: 0.5 lb
(3.75 lbs grain)

plus 10 lbs light DME, giving a predicted OG of 1.100.

outside of a bit more cost, what am I giving up by forgoing the mash?

so in theory, could this be converted to an extract recipe like this:

steeping grains:

Roasted Barley: 1.5 lb
Special B: 1 lb
Chocolate malt: 0.75 lb
CaraPils: 0.5 lb
(3.75 lbs grain)

plus 10 lbs light DME, giving a predicted OG of 1.100.

outside of a bit more cost, what am I giving up by forgoing the mash?

Yes, this recipe lends itself well to extract. Typical things you give up: 1) mash temp control, so possibly less control over fermentability 2) more limited choice of base grain - for example instead of domestic 2-row you could choose domestic pale ale malt, maris otter, golden promise, etc. for a different character. If you're just going with good old 2-row this is one recipe where you're not really losing much going to extract IMO.

I love my 5g mash tun. I've upgraded almost everything but keep sticking with my little cooler. No matter what beer the MLT is almost full so temps and process stay stay constant. I can get to about 1.064 all grain then top up with pale extract after that, replacing a little of the base grain. Scored a 43.5 with a bock this way.

DME is good and I also love the Alexander's kicker cans of LME.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Another possible "work around" solution to small MT large beer would be to mash 1/2 the grain in your cooler tun, and the other 1/2 in your kettle BIAB style.

Probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Or mash 1/2 in the tun and the other 1/2 in an hdpe bucket, once the tun is emptied, transfer from the bucket to lauter.

Where there is a will, there's always a way.

Another possible "work around" solution to small MT large beer would be to mash 1/2 the grain in your cooler tun, and the other 1/2 in your kettle BIAB style.

Probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Or mash 1/2 in the tun and the other 1/2 in an hdpe bucket, once the tun is emptied, transfer from the bucket to lauter.

Where there is a will, there's always a way.

now that's interesting. I'll have to think about that.

Back