using oxyclean/starsan for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
I purchased all new tubing and canes and some of which came from HD, so a good cleaning is in store, besides my equipments been sitting around collecting dust for a few months.

I'm gonna be bottling this weekend and haven't used oxyclean much at all. I'd like to soak all my equipment and bottles in an oxyclean solution prior to bottling. I will of course rinse well and sanitize afterwards, but my question is how long does my stuff need to soak in the oxyclean before its ready? I'll probably get a large tupperware bin and get as much equip/bottles in there as I can.

I'm hoping my infection problems will be solved with the new tubing/canes, using the cleaner before the saniter and I've also enlisted the help of a friend who's most important job will be to make sure all the bottles will go into the sanitizing bucket for 30 seconds and hand em to me so I can fill them up right away with goodies and cap em.

I've got one more question, sort of :off: . What's stopping partial boil users from using a starsan solution to top off their wort before pitching? Would the yeasties not like this? I know it sounds weird and I don't think I'd try it even if there wasn't anything wrong with it.

Using OxyClean, I would soak anything that has been used, overnite. It's been my experience that OxyClean works much slower than PBW, which needs only about 30 mins if it's not too dirty.

Hope this helps

because star san solution is designed to KILL things like wild yeast and bacteria. it would not make sense to add 2-4 gallons of sanitizing solution to top off your partial boil.

SOME star san left in the bucket won't affect the whole batch, but you will hit a threshold that will create major problems.

In addition, drinking too much star san will give you mud butt, and you would taste its odd astringent flavor in the finished beer.

no-rinse does not equal 'same as water'

Back