Using Nelson Sauvin in my all NZ hop pale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOrlandoGuy

Reaction score
Hey all - I tried a buddy's NZ Hop session Pale Ale, and wanted to substitute Rakau and Kohatu with Pacifica and Nelson Sauvin. However, everything I've read tells me that the Nelson is extremely potent, and should be blended with other equally as potent hop varieties (such as Citra, and Simcoe). Trying to keep with the NZ hop theme, does Pacifica and Motueka give the balance the Nelson may need??

Thanks!

I'd do maybe 2:1 motueka:nelson, but it depends on what you want to taste. Nelson is a great hop, by itself, blended with others, or dominating a mix. IMO, pacifica isnt potent enough for the mix and would get lost

I'd do maybe 2:1 motueka:nelson, but it depends on what you want to taste. Nelson is a great hop, by itself, blended with others, or dominating a mix. IMO, pacifica isnt potent enough for the mix and would get lost

Would a 1/3 ratio of all 3 still be heavily Nelson dominated? Is that a bad thing?

Id guess Nelson would definitely be easiest to pick out. But id still have that trademark tropical NZ/AU character

Back