Using multiple types of yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
Just wondering has anyone tried combining both a top fermenting and bottom fermenting yeast in one brew? Can this even be done and if so what would the finished product come out like?

I do it all the time when making 10 gallon batches. I usually split a batch into 2 carboys and add the different yeasts then. I always ferment seperately so i can taste before i mix in secondary or when i keg. Most of the time i wait until i keg to see if the flavors will blend right.The ones that i think blend together best are 1056(american ale) with 2124(california lager) wyeast when I'm making a pale ale. So what were you thinking about blending???

I was wondering about this too... I was thinking EC-118 for top fermenting, and Dutch lager wyeast... in an australian lager because i want the champagne like taste in the lager because i have tasted an australian lager with a champagne like note to it... Does anybody have any thoughts?... If i cant i was thinking of just useing the EC-118 but i dont think you can lager with it because i dont think it works so well at temps below 55F... Does anyone have anything to say about useing the dutch lager yeast alone would give the desiered flavor?

Latest posts

Back