Using malt extract from a bakery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about almost the exact opposite question -- could you use brewing malt (i.e. DME) for baking instead of sugar for a bit of flavor?

This is hard to answer because bakeries aren't all using the same product. It's very specialized. The stuff they use for bread or pizza dough is typically diastatic (enzymes help the dough and with browning), but nondiastatic is often just used as sweetener, and that's more like what we use.

If you have time to kill, peruse the Briess website for more than you want to know about it. They don't just have one product for all of us, bakers and brewers alike. Now, whether you can never substitute, I can't say.

I was wondering about almost the exact opposite question -- could you use brewing malt (i.e. DME) for baking instead of sugar for a bit of flavor?

Yes you can. Flavor and color. Bread yeast eats DME just like beer yeast. Need a little more DME than sugar because it is slightly less fermentable.

I've used brewers DME with success in pizza dough, bread, and my favorite, malted milkshakes.

Back