Using Liquid Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hutteriteBrewing

Reaction score
So I've been brewing for some time now and I'd like to try a flavored beer. I've got this Grapefruit brewing extract. 4 ounce bottle for 5 gallons of stock.
I'm wondering about when I add it to the mix. Do I add it with everything else while its fermanating, or do I add it just before I fill my bottles with the product?

So I've been brewing for some time now and I'd like to try a flavored beer. I've got this Grapefruit brewing extract. 4 ounce bottle for 5 gallons of stock.
I'm wondering about when I add it to the mix. Do I add it with everything else while its fermanating, or do I add it just before I fill my bottles with the product?
I brewed a strawberry blonde ale kit from Morebeer a while back and it was a standard blonde ale that came with a 4oz bottle of strawberry flavored extract. The instructions that came with the kit said to add the flavoring to either the bottling bucket or keg before racking and proceed as usual. I’d assume you’d want to do the same.

The fermentation process can drive off flavor and aroma so I would add it post fermentation as you're going into the bottling bucket/keg.

I brewed a strawberry blonde ale kit from Morebeer a while back and it was a standard blonde ale that came with a 4oz bottle of strawberry flavored extract. The instructions that came with the kit said to add the flavoring to either the bottling bucket or keg before racking and proceed as usual. I’d assume you’d want to do the same.
+1

Here's something to add grapefruit flavor too. Dry hop with a combination of Citra and Cascade, then at bottling take a sample before you add the flavoring, then add whatever amount of flavoring you prefer. You may find that you have enough flavoring to do more than one batch.

Here's something to add grapefruit flavor too. Dry hop with a combination of Citra and Cascade, then at bottling take a sample before you add the flavoring, then add whatever amount of flavoring you prefer. You may find that you have enough flavoring to do more than one batch.
I'd like to only be doing a few beers at first. Would prefer to add some extract to a couple of bottles at capping and see how it turns out. Most if my Lager will be bottled without adding extract. I'm hoping that's how it's supposed to be done.

Thanks for any advice everybody

If you just want to sample, why not dose your glass. Pour a splash of beer, add a dose of flavor, then pour the remainder. The release of co2 should mix it and you can see if its something you like.

If you just want to sample, why not dose your glass. Pour a splash of beer, add a dose of flavor, then pour the remainder. The release of co2 should mix it and you can see if its something you like.
Will definitely try a few different inclusions of extract in marked bottles to see what level I like better.
I expect to be trying right around the 1 ML/bottle mark...Give or take.

So I tried adding the extract to a commercial lager beer ( Budweiser), to get an idea of flavoring. At the 2.5ml-3ml mark (per 355ml) I was getting what I wanted.
But there might be a difference in having the extract sit in it for a few months, over drinking it immediately? No sure.

So I've run into a little problem with my extract brewing...Hear me out.
Si, what I did was the following: as usual, I had my brew in my bottling pail, and added my sugar to it for carbonating. I then give it a good stir, and proceed to fill my bottles with the beer. I cap it immediately after having been filled.
Now, with the grapefruit extract, I used a syringe and places 2ml and 3 ml into 10 bottles (5 bottles of each) and capped them to carbonate.
Thus was 6 months ago. So far, in over 7 batches of brewing, I've had a 100% success rate with getting my beer carbonated. Now, I've opened 4 of the 10 bottles, and they've all been flat so far.
The desired taste is there, no problems with that. But it's not carbonated.
Anybody have any ideas as to what I may have done wrong? How does adding flavor extract to beer work?

Back