Using hot water heater tanks for kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDhokiehb

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this idea or not. I know that some hot water heater tanks are made of SS but I don't know if it's just particular brands or anything. I believe it would work for a 1 BBL brewery if you could get your hands on 3 40 gal heaters and strip them down. Even could use the valves to make things automated. Any thoughts?

I've heard that one of the potential problems is that most hot water heaters in the US are lined with glass, making altering them difficult if not impossible. But if they are stainless with no glass, many have done exactly what you suggest.

I have heard of some commercial hot water heaters which can be set to higher temps being used for hot liquor. By the time you get done modifying the tanks you are probably better off getting a tank made for the job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Stainless water heaters start at $1800 and go up from there. You can build a 50 gallon insulated tank with electric elements and PID controller for under $500. That still leaves another $500 to pay an electrician to run the circuit for you and you're still ahead by $800.

Back