Using hop bags for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I've had an issue with my new 10 gallon setup in that I transfer 100% of my hop material to the fermenter - I know there are other ways of getting around this but I'm lazy and figured I would give hop bags a go.

My question is; will there be a change in hop utilization and do I need to adjust my recipe accordingly?

I'm using the small bags that more beer sells

Thanks guys!!!

beerz.gif

I think it depends how tightly bound the bag is, but I've heard 10% loss in utilization

just make sure there is plenty of room for the hops to seperate. Knot the bag at the very, very end so to maximize the available space in the bag

I have done both ways and cannot tell a difference except once. I was adding very very small hop additions ( like 1/4 oz) so I got the bright idea to cut the bags in half and tie each end. Don't do that. I'd even go so far as to say only one oz of hops per bag max to allow em more room. I also use my mash paddle to move em around and tea bag em a little in the boil.

I use a nylon bag that is big enough for the pellet hops to expand nicely. I also make sure doing the boil that I "tea-bag" the hops bag often. Works for me, but...

glenn514:mug:

Latest posts

Back