Using home-grown whole leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kklowell

Reaction score
I have a bunch of home-grown Cascade hops in my freezer, where they have been for two or three years. Should I use them? How do I know how much to use if I attempt it?

I'd check them first and see if they smell ok. Don't know how you have them packaged. It's kind of hard to say how much you need to use. You'll have a better idea once you brew a batch with them. Might be better to use them for late additions or dry hopping and use some store bought for bittering.

i have the same thing, so we are dry hoppin cant wait to start the spring with my rhizomes and various new varieties. Bought some Citra rhizomes online, but ended up being some sort of illegal medicinal plant... bummer...

How did it turn out? I just threw 2 gallon sized frezer bags of home grown Cascade hops into the boil at different times. It was a ton of hops but last time I used one bag and didnt get the flavor I wanted. When I look in on my primary it is just a layer of hops on top (no bag). Just curious how yours turned out.

I found that freezing my homegrown cascade hops was NOT a good idea. Much better flavor when I did not freeze them. Some say homegrown hops are better for 20 minute or later additions and I think I'll agree. Doesn't a year in the freezer mean lower AA for any hops? Much less longer...

I have a bunch of home-grown Cascade hops in my freezer, where they have been for two or three years. Should I use them? How do I know how much to use if I attempt it?

Assuming that you properly dried them (dehydrator for example) and vacuum sealed them they MAY still be viable but they will be weaker after 2-3 years in the freezer. My suggestion would be to DH with them. That way you won't risk messing up your beer and losing $.

I'd check them first and see if they smell ok. Don't know how you have them packaged. It's kind of hard to say how much you need to use. You'll have a better idea once you brew a batch with them. Might be better to use them for late additions or dry hopping and use some store bought for bittering.

Didn't see this post initially. Spot on...

Back