Using Growlers to Store Beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
So Im thinking that a good way to share my beers with friends of mine without having to explain/worry about the sediment in the bottles would be to simply pour a few bottles (very carefully mind you) into a 1/2 Gallon Growler I have and cap it off very tightly. Then I could simply bring a growler or two to a friends house and pour them my delicious homebrew from there.

I know theres a Micro in syracuse which fills growlers from the bar in this fashion but Im not sure if it would work the same way or if Im missing something. Would the beer hold its carbonation etc in a growler if I poured it from a bottle? and if so, for how long??

Thnx in advance:mug:

A growler is fine for brief storage/transport. You're going to lose a fair amount of carbonation just in the transfer process, however. Give it a shot and see how it goes. Once it's transferred, the very best way to keep it carbed as long as possible is to keep it cold.

I carry my beer to parties and such in growlers (poured from kegs) and it's always fine. I did make the mistake of bottling a whole batch in growlers once. No good.

My local brewpub sells beer in one litre growlers (about 1/4 gallon). There's no preservatives in Randy's beers so they're meant to be consumed pretty quickly but I've held onto them for a few weeks at times, in the refrigerator, and there's still a satisfying pop when I open them, and beer tastes as it should. They're certainly good enough for transporting.

IMO, keeping them cold will make it so that you barely lose any carbonation at all. Toss them in a cooler with ice and it'll be perfect. If you don't want to bother, room temp will be fine too, just not quite as perfect. I doubt anyone would notice the difference though.

Back