Using Fruit Purée

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alooper86

Reaction score
I am planning on using a fruit purée for an upcoming recipe during secondary but haven’t used this type of ingredient before. My fermenter is a bucket with a spigot and I perform a closed transfer to a keg where I dry hop. I was thinking about adding the purée in a mesh bag and suspend it from the keg lid tab for two weeks but am unsure if this would work well or not. The other method I was thinking about was just adding it to a separate secondary fermenter. Anxious to hear you opinion.

I used about 6 lbs of cherry puree last year and added it directly to the primary at 8-9 days after pitching. Fermentation was restarted within an hour!

I don't keg so I can't speak to that method but I would try either adding it to the primary or secondary. Should be great!

I used about 6 lbs of cherry puree last year and added it directly to the primary at 8-9 days after pitching. Fermentation was restarted within an hour!

I don't keg so I can't speak to that method but I would try either adding it to the primary or secondary. Should be great!

My only fear in adding it to primary is that the trub and settled out fruit purée would be higher than the spigot level, making it unable to transfer the beer via a closed transfer.

Purée has a lot of sugar and will ferment quite a bit, so therefore should be added to a fermenter and not a keg.

Mesh bag and purée doesn’t seem appropriate either...jmo.

I wouldn’t sacrifice sound principles for the sake of a closed transfer...jmo

Use a racking cane if trub is above your spigot. Or cold crash to compact the lees...

My only fear in adding it to primary is that the trub and settled out fruit purée would be higher than the spigot level, making it unable to transfer the beer via a closed transfer.

That is a concern but I have an auto siphon that works well to avoid getting a ton of sediment in the bottling bucket, as mentioned above. You may need another pair of hands to assist you though.

Latest posts

Back