Using different types of sugar in one fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewstatic

Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything on this...anywhere. But what happens when you use different types of sugar in one fermentation? Like mixing brown sugar and raw sugar together, or adding in agave or honey for example to experiment with the flavor profile? At first it seems like that would add some potential depth of flavor, but can this mess with the fermentation at all, or even create off flavors due to the yeast reacting to different sugars all at once?

Since I can't find any info on this I'm hesitant to try it on any large batches of ferment. If this doesn't have negative effects and does produce a quality, more complex product, then why isn't there a lot more information on it? Which led me to believe there must be a reason not to do this, but I'm asking all the same just because I'm really curious now... Haha

Most unrefined sugars like 'raw' sugars are still 98% regular sugar, containing 2% impurities. The yeast won't know the difference and gobbles them up all the same, leaving (most of) the impurities behind.

Same for mixed sugars, whatever the yeast can't digest remains.

I wouldn't use brown sugar in (fermenting) beer. At least to me, the molasses it contains leaves weird, metallic flavors behind after going through fermentation.
But you could back sweeten with it as long as you first immobilize (sulfites + sorbitol), kill, or filter the yeast.

Your going to get 0 flavor or almost 0 flavor from any sugar you add. Use sugar to dry out a beer , not to flavor it !

Cheers

... why isn't there a lot more information on it?

Homebrewing forums generally do not talk about adjuncts (sugars, specialty honey, ...). I suspect the discussion gets shut down pretty quickly after someone parrots "if you want honey flavor, use honey malt".

For specialty sugars (beyond brown sugar), there are a couple of book authors who spend a couple of pages on the topic. I can post author / book titles if someone is interested.

... adding in agave or honey for example to experiment with the flavor profile? At first it seems like that would add some potential depth of flavor

For specialty honey, there are a larger number of authors who cover beer recipes with 10-20% specialty honey (let's assume it takes 30% or more honey to make a braggot). Again, let me know if there is interest in authors / books.

Make Your Best Honey Ale may be an interesting read. It's an ESB, using Buckwheat Honey, that apparently isn't dry because of adjustments in the use of crystal malts. So the positive flavor aspects of the honey come through in the beer. (note that this recipes also appears in the Apr/May 2019 Craft Beer and Brewing magazine).

I wouldn't use brown sugar in (fermenting) beer.

Agreed. If molasses-like flavors are desired, it's probably simpler to add it as molasses.

A while back, I did a sugar experiment with cider. I did a granulated sugar vs brown. I was interesting (enough to want to do it again including molasses and a few others).

Anyway, after tasting them individually, and tried some blends and really liked the results.

Attachments

• 44932989_10217425869541148_7030180852969504768_o.jpg
    44932989_10217425869541148_7030180852969504768_o.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 45
2 sugars? Sure, why not? Not terribly uncommon in Belgians - added complexity from unrefined sugars. I wouldn't do table sugar with dextrose, unless I didn't have enough of either, simply because you won't get much from either, not because they would clash.

Thanks for all the feedback, I can read through replies more later. I did want to clarify though that I'm not brewing beer actually. This is more for cider, mead, wine, etc.

I will disagree with the statement that sugars don't add flavor to the final product. Sugars can have an impact on the flavor. The dark sugars that the British have used for years have a huge impact on color an flavor and they use sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in a brew along with using them to create different beers form the same grist in a parti-gyle.

I will disagree with the statement that sugars don't add flavor to the final product. Sugars can have an impact on the flavor. The dark sugars that the British have used for years have a huge impact on color an flavor and they use sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in a brew along with using them to create different beers form the same grist in a parti-gyle.

Panela (available here in Colombia in every supermarket) adds flavor. Candy (or candi) syrups can add a little or a LOT of flavor. It just depends on what flavor profile you are looking for. Just randomly putting in sugars can turn out nicely, or it can result in asking "what was I thinking", but for a small batch it can be fun to experiment.

Thanks for all the feedback, I can read through replies more later. I did want to clarify though that I'm not brewing beer actually. This is more for cider, mead, wine, etc.
My favorite recipe (so far) blends granulated sugar and dark brown

I hadn’t even considered the candy syrups , those can add a bunch of flavor.

Back