Using cinnamon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B192734

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Has anyone out there done much with cinnamon in their beers? I have a bunch sitting around my house (left over sticks from making some Apple Pie liquor) and was thinking of how good it might taste to have a nice ale or IPA with a cinnamon flavor along with it. I've never spiced a beer before except for adding rosemary to one batch a few years ago. That one would have turned out really good but for some reason or another, there were no bittering hops added...Very sweet and malty...Not easy to drink...wow.

Anyone out there try cinnamon, and what did you put it in? I'm not set on either of those two styles, just what first came to mind for a nice summer beer.

guys put cinnamon in winter beers/holiday ales and sometimes in pumpkin beer. Check the recipe section for how you want to you use it. Sometimes its put into the boil and sometimes the whole sticks are put into the secondary and then removed.
-Jefe-

I'm thinking of trying to get just that little hint of it in the aftertaste. Would that be better served by putting it in the secondary instead of the boil? I would think that it would give off a smoother flavor if it wasn't boiled.

Back